• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wb3jma

Nov 15, 2020
    Belcamp, MD Harford County
    So I went to the local range which let me use my own ammo while renting and tried 6 guns and cost only 2/.3 of Freestate cost (This testing might might have payed for a 3rd of a gun by the time I get finished).

I had no intentions of getting a micro but tried 3 anyway S&W Shield Plus, Springfield Hellcat and Ruger Max 9 and as I suspected can’t shoot anything that light and small even in 9mm, all over the place.

I tried a Glock 43x and was surprised by it trigger was not as bad as people have said and when I settled down I got better with it.

I got an S&W Sheild EZ 9mm and an H&P VP9SK again shot the EZ better than last time and a little sloppy on the H&P this time. Think the grip angle on the EZ is what’s throwing me.

So two but I’m going back once more this week for the 380 version of the EZ.

Last edited:
    So I went to the local range which let me use my own ammo while renting and tired 6 guns and cost only 2/.3 of Freestate cost (This testing might might have payed for a 3rd of a gun by the time I get finished).

I had no intentions of getting a micro but tried 3 anyway S&W Shield Plus, Springfield Hellcat and Ruger Max 9 and as I suspected can’t shoot anything that light and small even in 9mm, all over the place.

I tried a Glock 43x and was surprised by it trigger was not as bad as people have said and when I settled down I got better with it.

I got an S&W Sheild EZ 9mm and an H&P VP9SK again shot the EZ better than last time and a little sloppy on the H&P this time. Think the grip angle on the EZ is what’s throwing me.

So two but I’m going back once more this week for the 380 version of the EZ.
    You're doing this the right way. Test fire a bunch and choose what works best with your hands.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Ok so I'm down to 3 Glock 43X, H&K VP9SK and CZ P-01.
    Those guns are all comfortable to shoot. FWIW my main carry guns have become a CZ PCR and a G48mos. Pretty much two of the guns off your list.
    Still looking at the Sig 365x though.

JasonD67

Jan 23, 2021
    Annapolis
    I was in a similar situation myself. I own lots of handguns but nothing really good for concealed carry. So I started looking around to buy a small 9mm to start carrying. My only thought going in to my search was "anything but a Glock". I searched around and held all the popular small 9's: M&P, Hellcat, etc. They all felt terrible in my hands. At one store well into my search the guy behind the counter brough out a gun and said to try it. It was a Glock 43X MOS. It felt perfect in my hands, much to my surprise (and a little bit of disgust). Well, that's what I ended up buying and I love the little gun now.

My point is you have to go out and try all these different guns for yourself. Reading about them on the internet and Youtube is one thing, but you have to worry about how the gun fits YOU, and don't let your prejudices get in the way.

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    I bought the G43x to have a smaller option. I am not a sharpshooter with it but it would get the job done. I put a Shield RMSc on it and swapped to a Ghost Edge.

I rented one with a P365x and liked the Glock better in my hands.

wb3jma

Nov 15, 2020
    Belcamp, MD Harford County
    I was in a similar situation myself. I own lots of handguns but nothing really good for concealed carry. So I started looking around to buy a small 9mm to start carrying. My only thought going in to my search was "anything but a Glock". I searched around and held all the popular small 9's: M&P, Hellcat, etc. They all felt terrible in my hands. At one store well into my search the guy behind the counter brough out a gun and said to try it. It was a Glock 43X MOS. It felt perfect in my hands, much to my surprise (and a little bit of disgust). Well, that's what I ended up buying and I love the little gun now.

My point is you have to go out and try all these different guns for yourself. Reading about them on the internet and Youtube is one thing, but you have to worry about how the gun fits YOU, and don't let your prejudices get in the way.
    Every thing I listed with the exception of the P-01 I have shot but having the CZ 75B Omega I think it's still a known quantity. I was surprised by the Glock 43x as well despite the very light weight.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    Sorry could find nothing but the Max-9 to shoot and despite looking at the American Compact no one could give me much in the way of feedback even on the Ruger forums.
    The Max-9 seems to be a misfire by Ruger.

I may not have told you to check out a Security 9c since I have one I believe everyone should, naturally... ;)

I have not seen one for rent in my travels.

But it is well regarded and well under $400 new so I thought I'd give it a try and so far, so good! :bannana:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    At one store well into my search the guy behind the counter brought out a gun

It felt perfect in my hands,

Well, that's what I ended up buying

Once upon a time , in the run up to a Maryland deadline , I had one more catagory I needed to fill . Check out the usual suspects that I really Wanted to like , but no go . Then the above conversation .

It was a Glock " subcompact " .

It was a G29sf , that felt custom made just for my hand .

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    It's the safety model. If it had the decocker I would have bought it when I called them, even though I already have one. ;)
    Yeah, I was tempted to call myself, but prior lack of restraint rendered it impossible at this time.

Edit for PSA:

Cajun Gun Works finally got these in. For 15 bucks, I thought I;d scoop up a couple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom