• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wb3jma

Nov 15, 2020
    Belcamp, MD Harford County
    Now that I have signed up for classes could use some feedback in narrowing down.

American Ruger Compact 9mm

S&W M&P Shield EZ PC 9mm

CZ P-01 9mm

Honorable mentions in 380ACP(still not sold on the caliber change my mind if want)

Ruger Security 380(yes I found a pair in an obscure place but not on the Handgun Roster yet).

Browning 1911-380 Black Label

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    How are you planning on carrying it? OWB holster, IWB, pocket? The way you carry should influence your decision.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    S&W Shield has an outstanding reputation.

Reviews on the Ruger security 380 also look pretty good.

I pocket carry a Ruger LCP Max 99% of the time. Don't let anyone fool you, 380 is just fine for personal defense.

johnboy

Oct 18, 2022
    Flintstone md
    Now that I have signed up for classes could use some feedback in narrowing down.

American Ruger Compact 9mm

S&W M&P Shield EZ PC 9mm

CZ P-01 9mm

Honorable mentions in 380ACP(still not sold on the caliber change my mind if want)

Ruger Security 380(yes I found a pair in an obscure place but not on the Handgun Roster yet).

Browning 1911-380 Black Label
    Is Maryland gets their way you're not going to have to worry about carrying

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Of the 3 , I know my preference , but that doesn't matter . Whichever one of those you prefer/ shoot better .

As to the other not quite question , don't downgrade to .380 unless you percieve an overwhelming requirement to do so .

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Have you shot any of these?
    How did you narrow the choices down to these?
    Just curious. Glad you want to carry.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    The only acceptable answer is the g43xmos with a holosun 407k green dot and talon grips with s15 mags, the s15 mag release, and a Bravo concealment torsion holster.

....just kidding. It could be any of those three depending on how you shoot them and what you like about them.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I have both the CZ P01 and the CZ Rami, and I carry the Rami. It's smaller all around than the P01 and weighs a few ounces less. It has both 10 rd and 14 rd mags available; the 14 rd has a grip extension making it feel like the P01.

They're both heavy pistols, relatively speaking, being all metal, and hammer-fired, so the need to have a safety is not present - although there is a Rami model with a safety. I prefer the decocker; one less thing to get in the way before use.

I like both pistols, and once MD and MoCo get with the Bruen program, I'll probably carry the P01 as well.

For me, the deciding factors were reliability and ergonomics. CZ has delightful ergos, and I like a pistol with some mass.

I can't speak to the S&W or Ruger, not having experience with either. I will say, apropos of 380, that I've found a PPK/s in 380 less pleasant to shoot than the 9mm Rami.

I suppose selection is mission-dependent, as well as being influenced by personal preference. It's great to have choices, and to have the right to bear.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    The one that feels best in your hand and is reliable. In my experience as an instructor some pistols don’t do well after some time on the range. I have seen no issues with S&Ws, Sigs, Springfield XD and Hellcats but have had issues with others to include malfunctions and actually breaking.

My favorite has been the trigger falling out of a pistol.

I’m a S&W fan, TD

wb3jma

Nov 15, 2020
    S&W Shield has an outstanding reputation.

Reviews on the Ruger security 380 also look pretty good.

I pocket carry a Ruger LCP Max 99% of the time. Don't let anyone fool you, 380 is just fine for personal defense.
    Yea I was really trying to decide about that and having read up on it, there is a very good defensive load workup on Lucky Gunner's website which lead me to believe they are perfectly fine if you choose the right ammo and S&W sells the Shield in 380 as well.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    Funny enough I can't get much feedback from people on the forums on the American Compact and have not found a range renting one to try out.
    Oh, I thought you owned it already. I actually carry a light revolver (Under Arm) or an LCPII (In Pocket) primarily.

If you can manage IWB have at it, I just can't. Lots of examples of set ups elsewhere on the forum though, good luck!

wb3jma

Nov 15, 2020
    The only acceptable answer is the g43xmos with a holosun 407k green dot and talon grips with s15 mags, the s15 mag release, and a Bravo concealment torsion holster.

....just kidding. It could be any of those three depending on how you shoot them and what you like about them.
    LOL, unfortunately I have big astigamtism with each eye so only Prism's work for me and that not something anybody has yet been clever enough to adapt for a pistol.

wb3jma

Nov 15, 2020
    I have both the CZ P01 and the CZ Rami, and I carry the Rami. It's smaller all around than the P01 and weighs a few ounces less. It has both 10 rd and 14 rd mags available; the 14 rd has a grip extension making it feel like the P01.

They're both heavy pistols, relatively speaking, being all metal, and hammer-fired, so the need to have a safety is not present - although there is a Rami model with a safety. I prefer the decocker; one less thing to get in the way before use.

I like both pistols, and once MD and MoCo get with the Bruen program, I'll probably carry the P01 as well.

For me, the deciding factors were reliability and ergonomics. CZ has delightful ergos, and I like a pistol with some mass.

I can't speak to the S&W or Ruger, not having experience with either. I will say, apropos of 380, that I've found a PPK/s in 380 less pleasant to shoot than the 9mm Rami.

I suppose selection is mission-dependent, as well as being influenced by personal preference. It's great to have choices, and to have the right to bear.
    Folks on the CZ forums are trying to sell me on the CZ P-10 S.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I've carried a P-01 and know I shoot it well. So that would be my choice.

Since you've narrowed it down to three, you should go rent them. That will make your choice easier.

You're close to the BelAir Gun Range. They have free rentals on Mondays. $9 for 1/2 hour.

Last edited:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Folks on the CZ forums are trying to sell me on the CZ P-10 S.

Big differences between striker-fired and hammer guns. Personally I'm more comfortable with a double action hammer gun, but I'm used to revolver triggers. Some here have never held a wheelgun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom