Was something passed banning ammo sales to Annapolis??

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 357Max

Feb 28, 2019
    Crownsville
    1674339888085.png

Waingro

Apr 4, 2018
    I've seen that more than once on different sites. I've seen Montgomery County listed as well

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Annapolis City proper. Been in effect for at least 15 yrs. The don't understand that Annapolis is larger than downtown Annapolis.
    And Annapolis city proper's law is preempted by state law, so has no enfrocement ability.

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    I saw that yesterday. In the next few years I am thinking about buying in Columbia (I grew up here and love the area), Crofton (would be very convenient to work, depending on where I'd be in biking or even walking distance), or Annapolis (I love Annapolis and miss living there). Seeing that on their website, I will avoid anyplace with an Annapolis mailing address so I can still buy cheaper and harder to find ammo than if I had to buy in person.

Last edited:

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I saw that yesterday. In the next few years I am thinking about buying in Columbia (I grew up here and love the area), Crofton (would be very convenient to work, depending on where I'd be in biking or even walking distance), or Annapolis (I love Annapolis and miss living there). Seeing that on their website, I will avoid anyplace with an Annapolis mailing address so I can still buy cheaper and harder to find ammo than if I had to buy in person.

Even if you live in Annapolis, it’s perfectly legal to buy it online and have it shipped to your house. Not against the law, not even a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    Even if you live in Annapolis, it’s perfectly legal to buy it online and have it shipped to your house. Not against the law, not even a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True, but it doesn't help you with retailers who don't realize MD has state preemption and shipping ammo to Annapolis is actually legal. Palmetto State Armory isn't the only one that won't ship there, and I do often buy ammo through them.

If I decide I want to live in Annapolis, finding a place with a Cape St. Claire, Severna Park or Arnold mailing address, but in the Annapolis area, won't be that hard.

dwnthehatch

10-32
    Nov 6, 2007
    Kent Island
    And Annapolis city proper's law is preempted by state law, so has no enfrocement ability.
    Correct. That does not stop the seller from making their own interpretation of the law. I had an Annapolis rural address for over 35 yrs. Never had an issue. However my friend who lives in downtown Annapolis has been denied several times. He just chooses different sellers now. You can't convince them to change their ways. They will choose what is best for their business.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    He just chooses different sellers now.

To a degree it is a rational business decision .

We live here . and regularly get befuddled by Maryland laws . If you're an online sell , look at the ATF summary of gun laws , scratch your head . Figure the % of your sales shipped to Md vs retaining a lawyer to annually review Md statutes . regs .

If we didn't live here , we'ed avoid having dealings with Md whenever possible .

xm8750

MDS Supporter
    Mar 10, 2023
    Annapolis
    My question is what authoritative document articulates the preemption that we can share with an uninformed vendor?

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    My question is what authoritative document articulates the preemption that we can share with an uninformed vendor?

Welcome to the forum.

From here: https://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2021/criminal-law/title-4/subtitle-2/section-4-209/

MD. Criminal Law Code Ann. § 4-209 (2021)

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, the State preempts the right of a county, municipal corporation, or special taxing district to regulate the purchase, sale, taxation, transfer, manufacture, repair, ownership, possession, and transportation of:

(1) a handgun, rifle, or shotgun; and

(2) ammunition for and components of a handgun, rifle, or shotgun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom