• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    This really is kind of a tough call. On one hand, starting out with a revolver (especially single action) will/should help him respect making every shot count. It is just so easy with a semi to fling another one downrange to fix a miss that it can feel OK to get sloppy. In that vein, I was actually started on a muzzle loader and I think I'd start my kids that way too. You really respect what it means to miss like that.
    On the other hand...a G44 is basically a G19 in .22. Mastering the G44 will give him a HUGE leg up on using the G19 when the time comes.

I don't think I really have anything useful to add in terms of direction...just kinda pondering out loud.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    There's a Wrangler in the classifieds right now for $150, "like new" But it sounds like you're leaning toward a Single Six.
    Might have to work him a couple more days to cover that! LOL! Whatever you end up doing he'll love it and remember it and you the rest of his life

emerald

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2015
    If you decide to go the semi auto route, a PPK/S in .22lr might be fun. Looks like you can get one for under $400.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And I believe they come with both the 22 long rifle and the 22 magnum cylinder so when he's ready to graduate to a little more power he's ready

The convertables are common , but optional . They are also offered in .22lr only .

jlowe23

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2014
    Cecil County
    Once you decide on the right gun let me know. I will give you a super deal on the gun to try and help you get the most gun for the money. You are going a good thing and I will be happy to help out any way you can.

As an example just for you I can get you a GSG Firefly with a threaded barrel (model GERG2210TFF) for $200. Normal retail is $262.

Last edited:

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Once you decide on the right gun let me know. I will give you a super deal on the gun to try and help you get the most gun for the money. You are going a good thing and I will be happy to help out any way you can.

As an example just for you I can get you a GSG Firefly with a threaded barrel (model GERG2210TFF) for $200. Normal retail is $262.
    Appreciate that John. I have family in Conowingo who speak highly of you and your shop but I've never been in

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Go for the Ruger mark IV.
    My 2 cents is buckmark. Just as good, if you decide you want a barrel change later you don't have to buy an entirely new serialized part...

That is really my only knock against the Rugers. Parts are a little more common, but you can find just about any part you want for a Buckmark also. If you go for a Ruger Mark, do the kid a favor and make sure it is factory threaded.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    My 2 cents is buckmark. Just as good, if you decide you want a barrel change later you don't have to buy an entirely new serialized part...

That is really my only knock against the Rugers. Parts are a little more common, but you can find just about any part you want for a Buckmark also. If you go for a Ruger Mark, do the kid a favor and make sure it is factory threaded.
    I remember not liking the Buckmark when I was younger for some reason

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    The Buckmark is fine, it's just not as classic as the Ruger.

I actually changed my mind, and agree with the revolver. It's just as fun, and will be less ammo sensitive. Good choice for a ten year old. Still, stick with ruger

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    The Buckmark is fine, it's just not as classic as the Ruger.

I actually changed my mind, and agree with the revolver. It's just as fun, and will be less ammo sensitive. Good choice for a ten year old. Still, stick with ruger
    The intent in getting him a bolt gun first was cause his dad didn't want him to learn to shoot fast first

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Nice! OP take this offer.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The intent in getting him a bolt gun first was cause his dad didn't want him to learn to shoot fast first
    Then I'd go with a single action revolver.

My wife was not a fan of my kids shooting my 10/22 for that reason. But she also freaked out when I got them a Rascal and made me sell it straight away. She did not want us buying guns "for the kids"*. There was some push and pull there and I borrowed a neighbor's smaller bolt 22 for awhile. She mellowed some on the kids shooting the 10/22. At this point my oldest has shot most of my long guns (he is 15), middle one my .410 pump, 10/22, that bolt 22 (which I gave back awhile ago), Howa mini .223 and 30 carbine. He hasn't been to the range since the winter and turned 13 recently, but he is like 90lbs soaking wet and about 5'6". So even the .223 Howa was "a bit much" as he put it. But that was before a couple of inch growth spurt in the spring. My daughter has only shot my 10/22 (she is 11 now, and it was a year ago she went to the range). Wife will not allow them to shoot any handguns.

Only so much I'll fight her on. She is willing to let them shoot some and is okay with them hunting (which this fall I'll probably take my 15yr old). So I'll take whatever "victories" I can. Especially since pushing back usually leads to her pushing back harder.

*She is not a fan of guns at all.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Then I'd go with a single action revolver.

My wife was not a fan of my kids shooting my 10/22 for that reason. But she also freaked out when I got them a Rascal and made me sell it straight away. She did not want us buying guns "for the kids"*. There was some push and pull there and I borrowed a neighbor's smaller bolt 22 for awhile. She mellowed some on the kids shooting the 10/22. At this point my oldest has shot most of my long guns (he is 15), middle one my .410 pump, 10/22, that bolt 22 (which I gave back awhile ago), Howa mini .223 and 30 carbine. He hasn't been to the range since the winter and turned 13 recently, but he is like 90lbs soaking wet and about 5'6". So even the .223 Howa was "a bit much" as he put it. But that was before a couple of inch growth spurt in the spring. My daughter has only shot my 10/22 (she is 11 now, and it was a year ago she went to the range). Wife will not allow them to shoot any handguns.

Only so much I'll fight her on. She is willing to let them shoot some and is okay with them hunting (which this fall I'll probably take my 15yr old). So I'll take whatever "victories" I can. Especially since pushing back usually leads to her pushing back harder.

*She is not a fan of guns at all.
    Bless you. I couldn't and wouldn't take that

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Bless you. I couldn't and wouldn't take that
    I was married almost 10 years before I ever owned guns. I live my life with no regrets...but if it was marriage after I'd already been owning guns, no I probably wouldn't either.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    PSA had GSG Firefly for $199 (GERG2210TFF) have 2 of them they come with a
    xtra spring. mine were $219 out the door ($20 transfer fee) So if you can get
    it for $200 get it, picked up xtra mags from Gunmagwarehouse $19.99
    no problems or feeding with any ammo...yet..also the description say the
    mags are black, but they are "steel colored" they are "solid mags"
    Now a bolt action, picked up a pristine Remington 581 with 3x9 Bushnell
    for a great price, plus a CZ 457 American 22LR also with a Bushnell 3x9 for
    an excellent price.. got outbid on the Winchester 52's wasn't gonna pay
    $1.250, $1,300 each, though they are worth it, just couldn't see it. Not at
    that time.

Single Sixes are nice the ole 3 screw ones w xtra 22mag cylinder
    most of what I see in my travels SS are in the $250- $650 range or even
    higher depending... so good luck..

-Rock