• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    What is a "melt job"?
    A 'melt job' is where one goes over the gun and rounds all the corners, eliminates snags and sharp spots. Makes the gun more comfortable to carry and handle and less likely to snag on the draw.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I've got XXL hands and never noticed that backstrap issue . Mainly because l was distracted by my hand being sliced by the slide .
    I've never shot a Walther PP/PPK or PPK/s. Though I'd really love a PP in 32acp someday. I have a Cz50 that I adore, despite spending a LONG time figuring out how to get 32acp reloads to run reliably in it. Fits my hands great, shoots great, very mild. The Cz50 is about as close to a knock off of a PP as you can possibly get, including some stuff that is dimensionally close enough they can swap (for instance the recoil/slide spring can be swapped between, though they are not identical).

At least until I get a micro 9 or snub nose, my Cz50 is probably going to be my carry gun if I need deeper concealment/warm weather. Nope, not ideal at all as a 32. But it is what I have and my only other small gun is my Yugo model 70 and I'd prefer 8+1 of 32acp than 7+1 or 32acp. Plus, DA/SA with safety on gives me more confidence than SAO cocked and locked. Given time actually carrying I'll probably relax, but until then...

Flipping the safety off is an easy movement on my Cz50. 32acp > 22lr. That's something.

My medium-large hands have never gotten slide bite from anything. Not that I've shot the world of handguns, but I own 10ish different ones and I've probably shot x2 different handguns without any slide bite. Maybe I am a wuss and hold my hands way too low.

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    What is a "melt job"? Pictures?
    Here are some photos. The melt job simply took all of the sharp edges off the gun. This is much easier to do on a stainless gun since you don't have to refinish it after it is done, just polish it. The real problem area for me was the sharp edges along the back edges of the grip...these were very sharp and really dug into my hand. The other photos just show the Novak sights that I had milled in and installed. Also had Novak do this to my Colt Gov 380 and a Bulgarian Makarov. All guns came out beautiful...I would highly recommend them.

Attachments

• PPKS-1.jpg
      PPKS-1.jpg
      195.8 KB · Views: 107
    • PPKS-2.jpg
      PPKS-2.jpg
      211.2 KB · Views: 58
    • PPKS-3.jpg
      PPKS-3.jpg
      101.2 KB · Views: 54
    • PPKS-4.jpg
      PPKS-4.jpg
      77.1 KB · Views: 59
    • PPKS-5.jpg
      PPKS-5.jpg
      143.2 KB · Views: 57

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    This thread jolted my memory I have a SIG 232 stainless with something 7 or 8 spare mags in a safe ... my “tuxedo gun” … I use ppk / ppks when shopping for holsters for the 232 and I always meant to ascertain just what - if any - differences are between the 232 and the ppk / ppks … anyone know?
    The Sig traces its roots to the Sauer 38h. Different takedown, and the Sig has the decocking lever on the left side of the grip. Heel magazine release on the Sig, IIRC. Probably better-mannered in .380. The PPK is a delight in .32 or .22, but not in .380.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I've never shot a Walther PP/PPK or PPK/s. Though I'd really love a PP in 32acp someday. I have a Cz50 that I adore, despite spending a LONG time figuring out how to get 32acp reloads to run reliably in it. Fits my hands great, shoots great, very mild. The Cz50 is about as close to a knock off of a PP as you can possibly get, including some stuff that is dimensionally close enough they can swap (for instance the recoil/slide spring can be swapped between, though they are not identical).

At least until I get a micro 9 or snub nose, my Cz50 is probably going to be my carry gun if I need deeper concealment/warm weather. Nope, not ideal at all as a 32. But it is what I have and my only other small gun is my Yugo model 70 and I'd prefer 8+1 of 32acp than 7+1 or 32acp. Plus, DA/SA with safety on gives me more confidence than SAO cocked and locked. Given time actually carrying I'll probably relax, but until then...

Flipping the safety off is an easy movement on my Cz50. 32acp > 22lr. That's something.

My medium-large hands have never gotten slide bite from anything. Not that I've shot the world of handguns, but I own 10ish different ones and I've probably shot x2 different handguns without any slide bite. Maybe I am a wuss and hold my hands way too low.
    Trust me , with big meaty hands , slide bite with pocket pistols is a thing .

Don't have a CZ50 , but its younger brother the CZ70 . I"m outspoken on my opinion re .32acp vs .380 acp , so go right ahead unless/ until stepping up to 9x19/ .38 +P .

7+1 vs 8+1 isn't a big deal , but different operating systems are .

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    The German Makarovs are vry similar to the PPK, and the 9x18Mak is a bit more potent that the 9x17 380.

They can be had for 600, if you wait for the bargain. The non-C&R ones are cheaper, but not as well made.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The German Makarovs are vry similar to the PPK, and the 9x18Mak is a bit more potent that the 9x17 380.

They can be had for 600, if you wait for the bargain. The non-C&R ones are cheaper, but not as well made.
    9 MAK is not a bad self defense round at all. Very little made in it, but Hornady’s critical defense expands really well and makes FBI minimum penetration. Interestingly even though the projectile weight and velocities are reasonably close between their .380 and 9 MAK loads in critical defense, their 9 MAK performs a lot better in testing.

I would not be ashamed to carry it as a defensive round. And in a Cz82 you’ve got 12+1…

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Here's another PPK clone although they claim not to be. Radom P64. These use to be inexpensive C&R guns but it looks like they've dried up lately. Last one i saw at a LGS was $350.00 and it looked pretty beat. Just a few years ago they could be had for $199.00. Great little guns though. Steel construction, heavy, and reliable. Originally developed for the Polish police I believe. PPK top of picture and P64 bottom.
    IMG_20220924_081654.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom