• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coynedogg

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2012
    UR2PC4ME
    Any Walther collectors out there that can help me out?

I was looking at the identification sheets and my serial number does not appear to fall into the 40ac range, but just the AC range.

guns033.jpg

guns036.jpg

Can you give me an approximate value range for the various conditions? The inside of the pistol is ex to like new, the outside has wear, scratches, marks, but no rust. I'm thinking 'good condition'?

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    We would need more pictures. Inside components, backside of both grips, all serial numbers and proofs. The magazine (and grips in this case I think) should be serial numbered as well. Also need pictures of proofs and serial on magazine. Good pictures of the complete pistol are needed too.

coynedogg

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2012
    UR2PC4ME
    We would need more pictures. Inside components, backside of both grips, all serial numbers and proofs. The magazine (and grips in this case I think) should be serial numbered as well. Also need pictures of proofs and serial on magazine. Good pictures of the complete pistol are needed too.

I will get more pics. The pistol is not stored here so it will take me about a week. I've yet to move my safes. :(

I believe all the ser numbers matched. I don't remember any other proofs but I'll check again when I visit my babies lol.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Yours appears to be a "Surcharged" variation. Yes, the serial number does not fall into the "proper" serial number block but a "no date" variation is more rare than a surcharged variation so to fake that would actually reduce the pistols value all things being equal. Remember that Walther's production records were lost so ranges quoted in publications are based on observation, not actual production statistics. I have a P38 that most of the so called "experts" absolutely refuse to accept as real because it does not fit into any known serial number blocks. That doesn't change the fact that it IS legit. You can't always go by the book. Still, we need the aforementioned pictures to get a better idea of what we are are looking at.

coynedogg

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2012
    UR2PC4ME
    Yours appears to be a "Surcharged" variation which is not talked about on that webpage. Even so, yes the serial number does not fall into the "proper" serial number block but a "no date" variation is more rare than a surcharged variation so to fake that would actually reduce the pistols value all things being equal. Remember that Walther's production records were lost so ranges quoted in publications are based on observation, not actual production statistics. I have a P38 that most of the so called "experts" absolutely refuse to accept as real because it does not fit into any known serial number blocks. That doesn't change the fact that it IS legit. You can't always go by the book.

Surcharged = 40 added? Yes, that is what it looks like to me.

I don't believe a collector would fake the 40 added, that would have drastically reduced the value. (even if people did not recognize it as faked) Like you point out, AC guns with no date are worth more.

The person I got this off of was a veteran who brought it back as a trophy. His wife sold it to me when he passed.

Yea, it might just be an odd ball that does not fit in the book. Germans were pretty well organized with the serial numbers though. As the range went up they added letters.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Here are some of the markings on the one I have that doesn't fit the books either. It's a commercial marked SVW45:

P1070608.jpg

P1070618.jpg

P1070612.jpg

P1070611.jpg

P1070610.jpg

P1070614.jpg

It was a bringback too. Unfortunately, it sat on a wooden beam in a basement for a long time and the right side of the slide pitted badly so I can't know for sure whether it was a police pistol (doesn't fit the "accepted" numbers block) or some contract that has been unknown up to this point. Whatever the case, another like it has never turned up since 1945. Here's the pitted side of the slide:

P1070613.jpg

Under a loupe, you can just make out the edge of a waffenamt but it's not enough to tell whether it's a police or army proof.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom