Walther P22, limp wristing, and hot ammo....

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    I bought a Walther P22 around 5 years ago for my daughter but only used it a couple times with the cheapest ammo I could find. It tended not to shoot well and was prone to "limp wristing". I put it in the back of the safe and never shot it again. I did buy some CCI Stinger 22LR rounds though at the suggestion of someone saying it ran better with hotter ammo. Last night I went to the range with a bud as he is interested in a .22. I dusted it off and brought it. So we shot it with the Stinger ammo and wow it was great really it is a totally different gun! No limp-wristing at all. Actually felt like a real gun too not like an air gun. Now I want to shoot it often and he wants one too.

I have little experience in .22s this being my only one and also the only .22 I have ever shot. Funny I know but I started with 9mm and never went any smaller. With ammo prices might be nice to get into a cheaper round!

I guess hotter ammo was the secret! Can anyone suggest any other .22 ammo with similar characteristics?

Sampson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 24, 2013
    White Marsh
    You could try some of these, not cheap and may be hard to find..
    CCI velocitor
    Remington Viper
    Remington Yellow Jacket

python

Apr 15, 2010
    Limp wristing is a problem with a shooter's mechanics that results in issues with the gun. It is not intrinsically a problem with a gun.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Have one, keep it clean, keep it lubed, being the slide is basically pot metal it gets dirty and binds up quick. Even so, mine handles CCI mini mags just fine. It will handle Standard velocity 100% reliable when suppressed, but an occasional jam without the can, especially when it starts getting dirty.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    My wife's P22 functions well with CCI MM (SP's and HP's) when kept clean and lubed. It will not function with the new Federal Punch self defense ammo.

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    My wife's P22 functions well with CCI MM (SP's and HP's) when kept clean and lubed. It will not function with the new Federal Punch self defense ammo.
    Ahh! I have some of that, but I keep it in my primary carry piece, a NAA Mini! (okay, my "primary carry piece" in gym shorts!), yeah, kinda flat nosed by design and intent, that is one round I'd have to really try out, make sure it's good in an automatic. (hmmm... like my little Beretta 21A???)

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    What size is your barrel? Does it have a compensator?

I got an older OD Green with the shorter barrel.

It literally eats anything.

CCI stingers are fun because it shoots a white fireball out of the muzzle.

Generally, I just shoot the bulk crap out of it.

Of course, my gun is well broken in. Got over 10,000 rounds or more through it.

My plan was to shoot a brick through it every time I went shooting.

I usually get about 500 to 750 rounds out of it before I start getting FTF/FTE at the range.

The trick is to clean it after ever range trip (all that primer compound builds up fast) and to hit it with some light lube in the chamber before the range trip.

I've always seriously considered buying a second one because it's one of my favorite guns.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    What size is your barrel? Does it have a compensator?

I got an older OD Green with the shorter barrel.

It literally eats anything.

CCI stingers are fun because it shoots a white fireball out of the muzzle.

Generally, I just shoot the bulk crap out of it.

Of course, my gun is well broken in. Got over 10,000 rounds or more through it.

My plan was to shoot a brick through it every time I went shooting.

I usually get about 500 to 750 rounds out of it before I start getting FTF/FTE at the range.

The trick is to clean it after ever range trip (all that primer compound builds up fast) and to hit it with some light lube in the chamber before the range trip.

I've always seriously considered buying a second one because it's one of my favorite guns.

It is the 5120500 model. No compensator. 3.4" barrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom