Waiting on HGP; When to apply for the HQL?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    When should I apply for the HQL?

I have several handguns, but I would like to but a gun that was built this century to use for a carry gun. I am waiting for the state to process my permit application.

I understand that I can get a free HQL once I have a HGP. I won’t have to take the HQL specific training(I’m exempt anyways) or another set of fingerprints.

I guess I would have to enter my permit number once I have it. Is that correct? Are approved permittees able to see their permit number once everything has been approved and they are waiting for the permit to be mailed? Is there any benefit to starting my HQL paperwork now, and waiting to finish it once I have the permit number?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    After your hgp is approved, when you click the "print application" button, the last page will give you your hgp # and expiration date. Plug those into the hql portal and you'll get an email the next day with your hql.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    After your hgp is approved, when you click the "print application" button, the last page will give you your hgp # and expiration date. Plug those into the hql portal and you'll get an email the next day with your hql.
    The state could save a lot of hassle, even for themselves, by simply combining the two into one and dismissing the HQL requirement for those who’ve been issued a W&CP

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    The state could save a lot of hassle, even for themselves, by simply combining the two into one and dismissing the HQL requirement for those who’ve been issued a W&CP
    Yup. Of course we both know they could save even more by removing all infringements and going straight constitution. Thankfully, they were arrogant enough to think their scheme of only giving HGPs to the rich and politically connected was going to continue longer than it did. It'll be interesting over the next couple years to see them claw back the liberties the people reclaimed... and how much the people allow them to do it.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    Smokey, is it really that simple? I ask, because I have a lot of friends asking me (seems I am the "go to guy" for this kind of stuff in my circle of influence).

No extra application fees for it or extra anything? It really is next day?

Thanks

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Smokey, is it really that simple? I ask, because I have a lot of friends asking me (seems I am the "go to guy" for this kind of stuff in my circle of influence).

Thanks
    This is correct.

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    Yup. Of course we both know they could save even more by removing all infringements and going straight constitution. Thankfully, they were arrogant enough to think their scheme of only giving HGPs to the rich and politically connected was going to continue longer than it did. It'll be interesting over the next couple years to see them claw back the liberties the people reclaimed... and how much the people allow them to do it.
    It’s more what the courts let them get away. In MD the people will let them do whatever they want on guns.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

Thanks
    yup. MSI walks you through it on their site
    the HQL portal is different from the HGP/77r portal. You need to create a separate account over there for the HQL.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍

Megiddo

Nov 19, 2010
    Any idea how long the online HQL process takes? My Carry permit is in the mail (taking it's time of course) and I have the HQL in the pending state. I know it's only been a week, but I just want to get an idea how long this process takes.
    Application\License Fee CompletedNov/25/22
    LiveScan Unchecked
    NICS Unchecked
    CJIS Unchecked
    MAFSS Unchecked
    METERS Unchecked
    JIS Unchecked
    DJS Unchecked
    DHMH Unchecked
    Questions Unchecked
    Secure Case Search Unchecked
    Secondary Review Complete Unchecked
    Alien/INS Unchecked

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I received my HQL approval within 24 hours of applying. I applied right after I received my permit number well before I had the actual permit in my hand. I applied as permit exempt.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Some of my students have reported getting their HQL approval in about two hours after clicking exempt

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Any idea how long the online HQL process takes? My Carry permit is in the mail (taking it's time of course) and I have the HQL in the pending state. I know it's only been a week, but I just want to get an idea how long this process takes.
    Looks like you applied for the HQL with both prints and a fee, and not for the free HQL with the HGP exemption.

The latter is very fast, but the former seems to be taking quite a bit of time, per the posts of others here.

Megiddo

Nov 19, 2010
    I received my HQL approval within 24 hours of applying. I applied right after I received my permit number well before I had the actual permit in my hand. I applied as permit exempt.
    Yeah, that's what I was attempting to do. I had my permit number and was told it was in the mail (still is).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom