• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kbuddy

Jun 20, 2008
    Calvert Co.
    I’m from Southern Maryland and have only been through Western MD a couple of times. My youngest and I went to the shooting range at Green Ridge yesterday.https://www.instagram.com/p/By8z9zmgUZK/?igshid=33tflyxt21sn
    What a great area! My son loves the mountains, the views, and wants to return to explore and camp.
    Anyway, just wanted to say Hi and let you folks know we enjoyed your part of the state. It’s beautiful.
    —Ken

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    there used to be a 22 mile (iirc) atv/dirt bike loop trail there, it was pretty rocky and pounding but still fun and not too far from dmv. never did understand why it was shut down, perfect place for it, way out of the way.

Rolo

Mar 13, 2019
    Washington county
    I’m from Southern Maryland and have only been through Western MD a couple of times. My youngest and I went to the shooting range at Green Ridge yesterday.https://www.instagram.com/p/By8z9zmgUZK/?igshid=33tflyxt21sn
    What a great area! My son loves the mountains, the views, and wants to return to explore and camp.
    Anyway, just wanted to say Hi and let you folks know we enjoyed your part of the state. It’s beautiful.
    —Ken

You're welcome any time

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    The range is a nice place but it attracts some trashy and unsafe people at times.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I used to drive those roads when they were just regular Forrest roads, before being designated as "ATV" .

Supposedly the trail upkeep, errosion remediation, etc would have been too costly . I would have then prefered for them to have simply reverted to regular roads ( ie licensed street legal vehicles, licensed drivers ) , but alas not .

FWIW , once upon a time, drove the whole circuit with the wife's stock '96 Grand Cherokee . ( But by the end of its era, trail was torn up enough , I would have thought three times before trying a repeat ) .

CombatAK

Hooligan #12
    Sep 1, 2015
    Cresaptown
    —Ken

50 miles west of there is the Savage River Shooting range. Hooligans tend to hang out there on Sunday mornings. I can assure you that you will like it much better that the Green Ridge range. There is camping close by, not to mention fishing, canoeing, and so much more. Our mountains are gorgeous. Come up and check it out. :thumbsup:

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    I used to drive those roads when they were just regular Forrest roads, before being designated as "ATV" .

Supposedly the trail upkeep, errosion remediation, etc would have been too costly . I would have then prefered for them to have simply reverted to regular roads ( ie licensed street legal vehicles, licensed drivers ) , but alas not .

FWIW , once upon a time, drove the whole circuit with the wife's stock '96 Grand Cherokee . ( But by the end of its era, trail was torn up enough , I would have thought three times before trying a repeat ) .

There is a forestry camp for bad yutes, so there is no excuse for not being able to keep it up.

kbuddy

Jun 20, 2008
    Calvert Co.
    50 miles west of there is the Savage River Shooting range. Hooligans tend to hang out there on Sunday mornings. I can assure you that you will like it much better that the Green Ridge range. There is camping close by, not to mention fishing, canoeing, and so much more. Our mountains are gorgeous. Come up and check it out. :thumbsup:
    Thanks! I’m planning the trip for this fall so I’ll look for something near Savage. Good stuff.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    You may want to ask on of the regulars about the weather. I think winter starts in mid August...

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Thanks! I’m planning the trip for this fall so I’ll look for something near Savage. Good stuff.

Savage River Gorge as seen few miles from the range.

Attachments

• 0 Save River Gorge 10-25-18.jpg
      0 Save River Gorge 10-25-18.jpg
      122.7 KB · Views: 374

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    I haven't been out that way in several years. Took the family camping to Swallow Falls this past weekend. It was absolutely glorious. The truck camper was 50 degrees at 3AM on Saturday night - I had to shut the windows and put the heat on (the kids had most of the blankets)!

Beautiful area. Wish there was a way to make a living there (I'd move), and wish it wasn't Maryland! But thoroughly enjoyed it, even if it was MD.

Will be back again soon. Love the sleepy old mountains.

melikou1

Aug 31, 2017
    The 'Dena, MD
    I'd be fine with winter starting yesterday.

Grew up (or as my wife says, didn't grow up, just got older) in Allegany County. No family left there now, miss getting back up there as much as I used to. Shoulder issues/surgery stopped my Garrett County fly fishing trips for the past couple years. Ready to head back up this fall now...just need an open weekend!

I'll take the cold over Chesapeake Bay heat and humidity any day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom