• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    I have looked at a few site no one has a good answer can a vepr shoot heavy ball ammo?
    where is the sweet spot for terminal velocity for these rifles is 20 inch good or go for the 27?

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Are you talking about the 54r version? The .308 and x39 will take any load available, not sure if the 54r is sensitive to heavy ball like the PSL.

Personally I would go with the shorter barrel, it's a front heavy gun as it is.

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    The 54r is fine with heavy ball.

As for barrel length effect on velocity, this paper is interesting:
    http://honors.usf.edu/documents/Thesis/U82488180.pdf

If it were me, I'd go with a 20" barrel. You're only giving up ~5% velocity, and the weight difference is going to be substantial.

very cool and yes im talking about the 54r so much has come in its down to early 2000 cheap im stocking lol

MikeSP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2011
    Severna Park, MD
    very cool and yes im talking about the 54r so much has come in its down to early 2000 cheap im stocking lol

I was wondering about the ammo prices I saw a few places recently. Any source or discussions on why there is more all the sudden?

I like the idea of the x54r VEPR, but magazine capacity/cost/availability is my only concern. Are they only available in 5 rounders still?

HollowPoint

Aged Member
    Sep 13, 2011
    Inside the Outside
    I was wondering about the ammo prices I saw a few places recently. Any source or discussions on why there is more all the sudden?

I like the idea of the x54r VEPR, but magazine capacity/cost/availability is my only concern. Are they only available in 5 rounders still?

From what I've seen in my searches 10 & 5 rnd mags. I've heard talk of some shops looking to manufacture 20 and possibly 30's but haven't seen any. Even the 10's are running upwards of $25-$30 a mag.

This is why i settled on the 7.62x39 MD2 VEPR modified for standard AK mags.

The 54R in VEPR's heavy barrel and reciever is touted to be more accurate than 7.62x39 which ibfound desirable but the mag situation and availabiliyy turned me over to choosing the 7.62.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    From what I've seen in my searches 10 & 5 rnd mags. I've heard talk of some shops looking to manufacture 20 and possibly 30's but haven't seen any. Even the 10's are running upwards of $25-$30 a mag.

This is why i settled on the 7.62x39 MD2 VEPR modified for standard AK mags.

The 54R in VEPR's heavy barrel and reciever is touted to be more accurate than 7.62x39 which ibfound desirable but the mag situation and availabiliyy turned me over to choosing the 7.62.

The right caliber for the right job.

x39 is an intermediate caliber so having magazines of 20+ capacity is desirable for the role it fills

x54R is a designated marksmanship caliber so having capacities of 5-10 rounds is sufficient for that task especially out of a semi-auto. 20 rounds would be nice but remember the rimmed cartridge of this caliber is not particular reliable in the semi-auto function especially if the capacity is greater than 10 rounds unless some extreme engineering is done to rectify the rimmed cartridge issue so if 20-round mags are made they will not be cheap either especially quality ones not cheap Pro-Mag-like ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom