• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    With more people carrying firearms there will be more people leaving their firearm in their vehicle for one reason or another.
    Post up the best methods and devices you've found to safely and securely temporarily store your firearm in your vehicle.

Fredcohunter

Nov 30, 2008
    A little west of Frederick
    My truck has a console vault. I also have Decked storage in the bed for hunting rifles, equip, etc

If I am driving my wife's car I use a Vault Tek Lifepod with the cable in the trunk. It also works great for hotel room storage etc if needed.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I used to use a heavy-duty cable lock for the rare occasion I had to go into a bank, PO, etc.. Pass through the trigger guard and through the seat frame, slip the pistol into a case and slide it under the seat. Hidden and locked without leaving the drivers seat.

whateverbro

BANNED!!!
    Jul 8, 2022
    Savage, MD
    I used to use a heavy-duty cable lock for the rare occasion I had to go into a bank, PO, etc.. Pass through the trigger guard and through the seat frame, slip the pistol into a case and slide it under the seat. Hidden and locked without leaving the drivers seat.
    Another good idea!

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Tuffy underseat steel sliding lockbox.

Requires unbolting the seat (bolts in between seat and car body). Fully enclosed steel box with key or combo lock. I know they make them for Jeeps, dunno about other vehicles. Will fit a Glock 19 or SIG 229 sided weapon.

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    When I'm going camping in PA

Attachments

• 20220609_145714.jpg
      20220609_145714.jpg
      365.6 KB · Views: 237

EODJoe

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Jan 15, 2013
    Carroll County

First Alert 5100K - Portable Handgun Safe with Key Lock - TSA Approved​

This is what I use. It has a steel cable that loops around the seat frame and it fits under the drivers seat. Not very expensive but secure enough for short term storage. Found on Amazon.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    With more people carrying firearms there will be more people leaving their firearm in their vehicle for one reason or another.
    Post up the best methods and devices you've found to safely and securely temporarily store your firearm in your vehicle.
    For my Jeeps, bolts down under seat bolts and has round secure lock.
    Secure.jpg

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    Not sure when I leave mine in the vehicle.

"Your car is not a holster" - drilled into us from the get go.

Having said that, there have been plenty of times when I needed safe storage on the road - sometimes you have no choice. For those occasions, I use the same solution as below.

For my Jeeps, bolts down under seat bolts and has round secure lock. View attachment 373176

Fredcohunter

Nov 30, 2008
    Not sure when I leave mine in the vehicle.
    I prefer not to but I also travel through a few states semi-regularly, in some rare cases it is necessary to be able to securely store in my vehicle. In MD rest stops are a problem that immediately come to mind. My daughter was in college in Ohio and I spent a lot of time there. In Ohio no firearm signs posted at businesses carry force of law for criminal trespass.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I prefer not to but I also travel through a few states semi-regularly, in some rare cases it is necessary to be able to securely store in my vehicle. In MD rest stops are a problem that immediately come to mind. My daughter was in college in Ohio and I spent a lot of time there. In Ohio no firearm signs posted at businesses carry force of law for criminal trespass.
    Yeah. I'm not disarming to run into a convenience store or a rest area.

Fredcohunter

Nov 30, 2008
    Yeah. I'm not disarming to run into a convenience store or a rest area.
    Sounds simple enough and I am pretty sure I havent been perfect but when I spent a lot of time in Ohio I realized just how easy it is to carry in Maryland if you have a permit. Carrying with a lot of restricted and sensitive places is a pain. Its not always just a convenience store if you are spending a significant amount of time somewhere.

To each his own but I would never advise that someone knowingly violate a law because they disagree with it or find it impractical.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Any thoughts on under dash holster mounting? Just a simple reach forward for quick access. Think city driving, bumper to bumper, where retreat wouldn't be possible.

This is not for storage, but for quick access while driving. Personally, I wouldn't want to draw from a seated position while mucking with the seat belt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom