• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Loudoun County is considering what amounts to a ban on hunting with a firearm and target shooting if you are not on a an existing public range!

The proposed ordinance is up for a public hearing and a vote on July 13th, but it is going to be in front of the Board of Supervisors this Tuesday, June 7th!

Thanks to member Chad Campbell for sounding the alarm.

In a letter to Chad, Captain Greg C. Brown of the Loudoun County Sheriff’s office said this:

Thank you for your inquiry in regards to the proposed amendments of Chapter 654.02 of the Loudoun County Codified Ordinance. During our conversation I stated that the proposed amendments do not include specific language that address the lawful discharge of firearms related to activities such as hunting and practice shooting on private property. Additionally, there are various avenues to address the discharge of firearms, lawful or unlawful, when it becomes a threat to public safety as noted in the presentation.

As the proposed ordinance amendments currently do not include an exemption for the sound of the discharge of a firearm, if the Board chooses to adopt it, the LCSO will be able to respond to and/or enforce a complaint regarding discharge of a firearm if the sound is “audible and discernable” to any person inside a residence with the windows and doors closed. This is based on the General Prohibition in the ordinance against sound of that nature. The Transportation and Land Use Committee did not elect to add an exemption for the discharge of firearms, but the full Board could vote to include it at next week’s meeting or after the Public Hearing. The Sheriff’s Office holds no position on ordinance language that addresses, or exempts the lawful discharge of firearms.

For those interested, here’s the video of the transportation land use meeting that set this up:

http://loudoun.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=68&clip_id=4490

Here’s a link to the proposed noise ordinance changes:

https://www.loudoun.gov/index.aspx?nid=3288

URGENT ACTION ITEM

We need to nip this in the bud and bombard the Board of Supervisors with messages urging them to put in exemptions for hunting and the otherwise lawful discharge of firearms!

If you live, work, or travel to Loudoun County, you in particular need to respond.

Spread the word to anyone you know in Loudoun, too!

Email address: bos@loudoun.gov

Suggested subject: Exempt shooting/hunting in proposed noise ordinance!

Suggested message:

I urge you to add exemptions to the proposed noise ordinance (Chapter 654.02) for the discharge of firearms, including otherwise lawful target shooting on private property and for hunting. As written, the restrictions would be prohibitive to almost everyone doing either of those activities. Our Right to Keep and Bear Arms is meaningless if we don’t have the ability to practice shooting. Enjoying shooting and hunting are part of the fabric of our freedoms as an American.

Let me know what you plan to do on this issue when it comes up on June 7th.

[YOUR NAME]

-------------------------------------------
    VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    (VCDL). VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    I'm fine with this as long as the county puts 2 outdoor ranges in loudoun county one on each end. and a hunting range. =)

What sucks about stupid chit like this is I bet 3 people complained in the last 10 years.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I'm fine with this as long as the county puts 2 outdoor ranges in loudoun county one on each end. and a hunting range. =)

What sucks about stupid chit like this is I bet 3 people complained in the last 10 years.

There is a farm behind my neighborhood. You hear the owner shoot his guns every weekend. Our community FB page immediately blows up every time with complaints from people who moved from the city to be out here :sad20:

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    Reminds me of my aunt getting complaints about her live stock. Which she has had 20 years before the complainers built up around her.

So um... How do I get in contact with the owner. I'd love to piss his neighbors off.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Update from VCDL:

4. Good news: Supervisor Tony Buffington to put in gun exception in proposed Loudoun County noise ordinance, BUT WE ARE NOT DONE YET

In an email response to those contacting him about a proposed sound ordinance that would all but eliminate target shooting and hunting with firearms, Board of Supervisors member Tony Buffington responded quickly with a fix. The amendment would exempt lawful discharge of a firearm, protecting both target shooting and hunting in one fell swoop.

IMPORTANT: Even though Mr. Buffington says the change should be incorporated into the proposed ordinance, we still have to show up IN NUMBERS on July 13 for the public hearing and the final vote. WE ARE NOT DONE!

Plan on being there if you live in the area. I will send a reminder a few days before the hearing.

Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA
    There is a farm behind my neighborhood. You hear the owner shoot his guns every weekend. Our community FB page immediately blows up every time with complaints from people who moved from the city to be out here :sad20:

My in-laws have a winery outside of Leesburg and there's lots of folks on their street that shoot. Only time there were complaints was when one of the immediate neighbors were shooting during business hours.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    email above sent! one of the reasons we moved to loudoun county was for these freedoms so really don't want them taken away now.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    VCDL update-VICTORY

1. Victory - Loudoun rejects recognition of Mad Moms! Noise ordinance decided in July

On Tuesday, by a 6 to 3 vote, the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors rejected recognizing the Mad Moms, Bradys, and other anti-self-defense groups for their self-serving “Gun Violence Awareness Day”! Good job, VCDL!

These Supervisors supported gun control: Saines, Umstattd, and Randall.

These Supervisors supported gun owners and the Second Amendment: Buona, Volpe, Buffington, Meyer, Higgens, and Letourneau.

On the noise ordinance exempting lawful discharge of a firearm, we will need a big turnout on July 13. More on that as the date grows closer.

Local coverage on the Mad Moms and Bradys, having to watch their “recognition" slip through their grubby, and undeserving, little fingers ;-)

http://www.loudountimes.com/news/ar...osed_anti_gun_violence432#.V1hIcVhZ2HA.mailto

or

http://tinyurl.com/jfeq2qt

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    fyi i got an automated email from sen tim kaine regarding reducing gun violence. part of that was strengthening background checks on "online" purchases. i sent him a nastygram reminding him that online purchases are subject to the exact same background check req's as buying directly from a gun shop. i know he knows that, just disgusting that our pol's resort to fear mongering and the like by highlighting loopholes that don't exist.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    There are not enough calendar days when stupid pandering politicians go down this road.

How about Martini Violence, Vehicle Violence, Hammer Violence, etc?

Everytime moronic terms like "Gun Violence" appear we need to respond.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom