• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    I am looking to sell my set of six matching serial number Commemorative engraved 1911s.

Where would I get th current value of them? IMG_0080.jpeg IMG_0080.jpeg IMG_0089.jpeg IMG_0080.jpeg IMG_0088.jpeg IMG_0090.jpeg IMG_0092.jpeg IMG_0091.jpeg

Jul 1, 2012
    Do you have the boxes, cases and the book(s) that goes with it?
    I can't remember if these also had a display "chest of drawers" (one of those series did).
    <edit> the WW2 had an optional "chest" for each pistol see the 2nd LSB link </edit>
    I've seen several sets hammer at Rock Island Auctions for ~$6k-$7k.
    Here's one that sold on Legacy a while back:
    This set sold for crazy money though:

I think a lot of people expect a "bulk discount" when you sell a set of them unless it's a collector that's looking for a set.
    The sad truth is they typically sell for $1000 to $1250 each (with the display case) regardless of how many.
    That's assuming mint unfired, too. Without the display cases probably knock at least a few hundred off per gun.

They are all C&R by name although I think they are also C&R by age.

It might be worth contacting Lock Stock and Barrel and selling outright or consigning to them, they'll probably get the best price for you. This is kind of a specialty niche :)

python

Apr 15, 2010
    Commemoratives don't always have the value one might think. Many are marketing gimmicks, and have little or no enhanced value. If you had six ordinary, pre series 70, NIB guns, they would bring a lot more than that set.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    The prices for these seem to be relevant to multiple factors but this is what a set of four matching serial number sold for-

IMG_0437.png
    Since I bought these for less then 3k I figure it was a wise purchase.

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    My rules for commemorative firearms, as a retailer, is if it isn't 100% complete and in incredibly good shape; it is priced exactly the same as a non-commemorative example and sometimes even less. Incomplete, the gun is LESS desirable than a plain jane; and certainly not worth even the smallest premium to anyone but the smallest niche of collectors (AKA sits in the case and doesn't sell for years if you don't price them cheap). Without cases/papers, as mentioned above...I think you'd be lucky to see anything near $1000 a piece in your pocket after Auction fees or whatever else. Selling to a dealer, you will NOT be netting anything close to $1000 each guaranteed. Just my 2cents...commemoratives are an all or nothing thing for 99.9% of folks.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    My rules for commemorative firearms, as a retailer, is if it isn't 100% complete and in incredibly good shape; it is priced exactly the same as a non-commemorative example and sometimes even less. Incomplete, the gun is LESS desirable than a plain jane; and certainly not worth even the smallest premium to anyone but the smallest niche of collectors (AKA sits in the case and doesn't sell for years if you don't price them cheap). Without cases/papers, as mentioned above...I think you'd be lucky to see anything near $1000 a piece in your pocket after Auction fees or whatever else. Selling to a dealer, you will NOT be netting anything close to $1000 each guaranteed. Just my 2cents...commemoratives are an all or nothing thing for 99.9% of folks.
    I do understand the difference between selling to a dealer and public. You normally give up some cash to sell to a dealer.
    I do think that having 6 matching serials numbers, all with no scratches, marks and unfired with display boxes make them worth more then 1k a piece.

I haven’t seen a six matching number set in a long long time for sale.

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    I do understand the difference between selling to a dealer and public. You normally give up some cash to sell to a dealer.
    I do think that having 6 matching serials numbers, all with no scratches, marks and unfired with display boxes make them worth more then 1k a piece.

I haven’t seen a six matching number set in a long long time for sale.

Outside of a big auction house (which is typically about a 20-23%+fees premium to buyer AND seller); I think selling them on Gunbroker would be your best bet. On a local level, I doubt you'll find someone willing to pay anything close to those auction prices...just IMO. Especially in this economy.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Outside of a big auction house (which is typically about a 20-23%+fees premium to buyer AND seller); I think selling them on Gunbroker would be your best bet. On a local level, I doubt you'll find someone willing to pay anything close to those auction prices...just IMO. Especially in this economy.
    Agree 100%. I don’t think I will sell them but keep them and not touch them. I do have them removed from the display boxes and stored properly.

Thanks again everyone for all your input.
    Stay safe and enjoy the day MDS folks!!!

Jul 1, 2012
    If you paid less than $3k for the set than you're definitely not hurting on these. If you do decide to sell, then LSB is probably the way to go. Even with their 20% consign fee they'll get more for it in your pocket than I think anyone else would. Selling them on Gunbroker by yourself won't get anywhere near those $$ (aside from being a PITA) - LSB and a few other sellers just have the "it" factor and get crazy money.

It's reverse logic, the more guns in the group the less people want to pay per gun. They're very cool but as said above the commemoratives are typically not terribly collectible. But you're still in high cotton based on your original investment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom