• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Wife attended the October 1 and 2 CCW class put on by Valkyrie.

Gave me an overall positive report on the experience. Historically she is more of a shooter and not so interested in the legal and collecting aspects of it but I asked her to keep an open mind which she did. She reported back to me that she was glad she took the course and that she learned quite a bit.

Small class size was beneficial. She did say at times it was like drinking from a firehose. I don't think that's unique to Valkyrie though especially when dealing with less experienced folks.

Shooting portion was done at Elk Neck. She was familiar with the range as we used to go there before joining SLCFSA.

She did ask me to post that she struggled with some portions being left-handed. The demonstration guns used were all for right handed folks and Jen required the work be done right-handed. Since my wife has learned to shoot right-handed guns left-handed she really struggled. If you attend as a lefty you should consider this ahead of time if possible.

Overall she said she would recommend folks to the class and that Jen was friendly and easy to work with.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    One of the things I do in introduction/orientation/explantion of expectations is ask if anyone is lefthanded so I will know to demonstrate everything BOTH WAYS

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    . She did say at times it was like drinking from a firehose. I don't think that's unique to Valkyrie though especially when dealing with less experienced folks.

NOT in any way intended for Valkyrie , nor do I have first hand knowledge of their training .

But right here is a widespread issue .

1/3 of students will struggle with firehose of information.

1/3 of students are disappointed at not presenting enough information .

( 1/3 either reasonably pleased , or lack knowledgeable to have an opinion )

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    She did ask me to post that she struggled with some portions being left-handed. The demonstration guns used were all for right handed folks and Jen required the work be done right-handed. Since my wife has learned to shoot right-handed guns left-handed she really struggled. If you attend as a lefty you should consider this ahead of time if possible.

In no way specifically about Mrs Bertfish , Jen , or Valkyrie , but a spring board for one of my pet issues .

It is part of basic competencies for Everyone to be at least marginally adaquate , one handed , with Either hand . ( A hand/ arm/ shoulder could get injured during a confrontation . A hand/ arm / shoulder may have previously be injured , recuperating , or under care for real life medical stuff . One hand might be occupied doing something else critical in a defensive situiations .)

As someone who was just short of ambidextrous with pistols for most of my shooting years , almost always , a pistol intended for a particular " hand " , can be adaquately used by the other hand . But there is some learning curve , and experimentation involved , and you need to do this in advance , and not when you suddenly need it .

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Not what I meant. Just that they should say something ahead of time or be prepared to work a pistol right handed for some demonstration portions.

My wife took her own pistol to shoot so that worked fine
    I know. :)

Valkyrie Firearms Training

Fair and Experienced Firearms Training Parkville
    Industry Partner
    Feb 10, 2021
    Parkville, MD
    Wife attended the October 1 and 2 CCW class put on by Valkyrie.

Gave me an overall positive report on the experience. Historically she is more of a shooter and not so interested in the legal and collecting aspects of it but I asked her to keep an open mind which she did. She reported back to me that she was glad she took the course and that she learned quite a bit.

Small class size was beneficial. She did say at times it was like drinking from a firehose. I don't think that's unique to Valkyrie though especially when dealing with less experienced folks.

Shooting portion was done at Elk Neck. She was familiar with the range as we used to go there before joining SLCFSA.

Overall she said she would recommend folks to the class and that Jen was friendly and easy to work with.
    Hey Babalou, thanks for your review. We enjoyed having your wife in class and are thrilled she enjoyed it. The pistols that we use are right handed, with one exception, in this case, that pistol was in the shop for your wife's class. In the one drill we were conducting, clearing the double feed, the slide lock was located on the left side of the gun, so, we asked her to modify her typical hold to demonstrate an understanding of the steps for that clearing process. She did a great job with it. Hopefully we'll get our ambidextrous pistol back from the shop soon but thanks for voicing your concern on that point.

Valkyrie Firearms Training

Fair and Experienced Firearms Training Parkville
    Industry Partner
    Feb 10, 2021
    Parkville, MD
    One of the things I do in introduction/orientation/explantion of expectations is ask if anyone is lefthanded so I will know to demonstrate everything BOTH WAYS
    Hey Mark, thanks for posting this very relevant information here. We actually do go over class expectations and don't require the performance of this task right handed specifically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom