USPSA at Summit Point this weekend (Oct 27 & 28)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    www.summitpointas.com

they have saturday morning, afternoon and then sunday late morning time slots.

i signed up for sat afternoon. if there are any folks who want to give this a try for the first time, let me know and sign up for sat afternoon and i will help get you started.

prob 30-45 minutes sw of frederick, md. at the summit point racetrack facility.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    look for me and we can squad together. will have green range bag with a few neon zip ties on it. shooting production.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    look for me and we can squad together. will have green range bag with a few neon zip ties on it. shooting production.

Since my bud Peter Hoyle is shooting the Sat AM because his daughter wants to shoot earlier, I am not with anybody. I am the old guy with the jogging stroller gun cart with the big yellow chair. I will be shooting my 9x23mm Bul M-5 in Limited. My bag is also green. Probably be in my black Safariland shirt.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Does the 9x23 make major power factor? But it's only minor in Limited right?
    Makes major easily, much more so than trying to shoot 9 Major because you have lots of powders than can do it in such a long case. It is basically a variation of 38 Super. You can shoot 9x23 rounds in a 38 Super but not the other way around. On the otherhand I can load 38 Super rounds on my press setup for 9x23 but you can't do it the other way.
    Since I can't shoot Major in Limited I have the loads tuned down to only a PF of around 130 so I can shoot followups as quick as possible. I usually shoot a 124g at about 1080. Obviously I could also do that with a 9mm and in fact if I see any M-5s from the Bul Custom shop like mine in 9mm I am liable to grab one. But those are usually Commander sized guns, but I would love to have one to shoot IDPA instead of my HK USP-C. Right now my Bul has to do double duty in both USPSA and 3-gun. I like its balance better than my STI.
    On my Open STI I can easily hit 1400 FPS with about 8g of Auto Comp or maybe 9g of HS-6 and still be under the SAAMI pressure ceiling. On 9 Major you have to go over it.
    Even though the Bul can shoot major (It was someone's Limited 10 IPSC gun before me and was sprung to shoot Win 124g Silvertips at 1450) Same model of gun Saul Kirsch used to win those World IPSC titles (Israeli STI, in fact STI used their polymer frames early on). But for mags an STI/SVI will fit but won't drop out because the mag tunnel is flatsided in the front like a Para-Ordinance. So you have to modify Para P18 38 Super mags. That means even with an extended basepad I am limited to 20 rounds in the gun under the 140mm limit.
    On the otherhand brass is an issue. I bought a huge supply a few years ago from someone who sold their 9x23 open gun. Win brass is available during a narrow window every year and so is Starline. But sofar I still have lots of new brass of both brands. You will see me doing a serious job of picking up brass at events. In fact I don't shoot events where I am not allowed to pick up.

Baumer

Jan 21, 2010
    I'm curious as to why you can't shoot major in limited. Is that because you need a .40 minimum caliber for major?

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    A number of years ago they changed that to the current setup. Before that there was no real incentive to shoot .40 because a 9x23 or 38 Super could always put more rounds into the mag and still make major power levels. And USPSA is still basically a battle of round counts. So now I can still use bigger mags but shooting Minor I have to shoot better. Thing is you can make a major .40 load that is a baby to shoot, like 180G at 950 FPS. So most go for that. I think that is what Rosalie Hoyle shoots out of her Glock 17 even though it does not matter in Production. I have shot that gun with one of Peters loads and it is really an easy load to shoot.
    But no one will ever likely make GM in open with a .40 (Robby Orent wanted to try) because you can usually go with out a mag change using a big stick and any kind of .355 ammo on any stage while a .40 can get only in the high 20's in a legal mag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom