• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Apparently the FAA has approved use of drones to spray crops. Anyone know anyone that is doing this in Maryland?
    Companies offering the service or farms that do it?

Can't help on the first but I know a guy whose family has used them for.crop inspection for some time and experimented with using them for spot applications of pesticide and herbicide. He never mentioned anything about full field stuff but I imagine that applying spot this way is way more efficient.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Apparently the FAA has approved use of drones to spray crops. Anyone know anyone that is doing this in Maryland?
    A friend of mine has a business doing just that. With the proper analysis you can target specific areas that need to be sprayed rather than just spraying everything.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    That must take a long time to spray a field!

10 years ago, We used a drone to move 30lbs for about 3 minutes and the drone was a monster.
    I don't think that is even a 5 gallon bucket. I think it used 4 $100 batteries.
    Even if your 2x efficient than that, thats going to be a lot of trips and recharges.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008

10 years ago, We used a drone to move 30lbs for about 3 minutes and the drone was a monster.
    Even if your 2x efficient than that, thats going to be a lot of trips and recharges.
    Ten years ago. That's the key. Advancements in battery technology alone ...

AI is stepping in. Can ID weeds and spray accordingly... Lot of cool tech in Ag.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD

Maybe the ag drones will be gas powered?

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    These guys are for hire.

iu

More locally, and although their focus has shifted towards delivery, I believe DroneUp still offers agricultural surveys, industrial inspections, and other work.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    My son in law uses a drone for some time to monitor his fields for various purposes. Looks at timber with it sometimes and things like that.
    It's the type thats probably not to uncommon based on the ones that are out there but it would have to be the size of a regular fixed wing aircraft to do any-kind of real herbicide or spraying with it.
    Pretty soon in a couple of months they'll be out there doing plenty of flying not long after planting thats for sure. Before that they'll spray all the cover crop and start bailing straw for the mushroom growers in PA first. It'll be like a regular air show when they start. I like to watch them fly they'll do some hair raising stuff if you ever watched then go on for a bit.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    My son in law uses a drone for some time to monitor his fields for various purposes. Looks at timber with it sometimes and things like that.
    It's the type thats probably not to uncommon based on the ones that are out there but it would have to be the size of a regular fixed wing aircraft to do any-kind of real herbicide or spraying with it.
    Pretty soon in a couple of months they'll be out there doing plenty of flying not long after planting thats for sure. Before that they'll spray all the cover crop and start bailing straw for the mushroom growers in PA first. It'll be like a regular air show when they start. I like to watch them fly they'll do some hair raising stuff if you ever watched then go on for a bit.

The people on the "western shore" don't get to see the early spring daily acrobatic airshows that those on our side of the bay do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom