• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    Hi everybody,

I just acquired some acreage and there is a 40+ year old stand of pines on it, which border hardwoods. I have traditionally hunted hardwoods but there seems to be a lot of deer sign along the transitions between the pines and hardwoods and I have identified a lot of pines that might be nice for stand locations. Is a pine of decent girth safe to climb? I'd be using my summit stand and I tip the scales at a bone crushing 175 lbs.

Thanks,

ST243

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Sounds like a perfect setup. I'm about your size and never had a problem using climbers on pine trees. I rather prefer them since they tend to be straight and bare up to where they offer a lot of cover. Love the smells too. If it's a stand of pines, you can situate your stand so that the "wall" of pines completely hide you. Very stealthy and quiet. Good luck!

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    I hunt on land that's about 90% pine trees and I have never had a problem climbing them. Really I prefer to climb a pine over a hardwood cause I think the climber bites into the tree better. The only thing I have noticed it you just got to dig into the tree good before you move cause some pieces of the bark will fall off as you climb.

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    Had a homemade, Bakers style climber 25 years ago that I went for some pretty exciting rides on. pines and hardwoods.

Worse was a pine: stand dropped, I stayed.
    For a few seconds.
    Then SLOWLY I started sliding, gaining speed as I went.
    Half the skin on my forearms and both my nipples is still stuck in the bark!

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    i hunted in some pines a few years ago the whole bow season.In November I went to draw on a nice 8 pt.I barely pulled back and my release opened and the arrow flew about 10 feet.The deer took off.I was WTF?Sap had gotten into my release and cost me a mounter buck.It never happened before or since I used mineral spirits to clean it out.Figures.......it couldnt have happened with a doe

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    Thanks guys. The primary reason I was asking is because I was wondering how solid the root system of the pines were compared to the hardwoods. I see a few of them blown over here and there on my property and I'd hate to be 23 ft. up one of them when it decides to go "timber!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom