• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I keep my AR-15 sighted in with 55gr M193. This is my ammo choice, besides heavier bullets which I can not afford in large quantities. Since I can not afford much of them, I must keep my AR sighted in with 55gr M193.

I have a very limited amount of Hornady 75gr TAP and since it is known to be a very good antipersonnel round I would like to keep a mag or two for it.

I have my AR sighted for 50/200 yards. Tests show that at 25yards the TAP will shoot almost 2" higher than POA would be with 55gr. I don't think this is that big of a deal since I would mainly just have one magazine of TAP for CQB in my house.

I have no idea how different POA would be out to longer distances though. It is a shame too, since this should be very accurate ammo at longer ranges.

Anyone else have this dillema?

Uncle Krunkle

Sep 29, 2010
    You have to buy enough of it to test it at long ranges and learn your holds with 75gr TAP with a 55gr M193 sighted gun. I reload 68gr and 75gr OTM for my AR's. I sight my guns in with my most common load: 68gr Varget: 24.7gr. But I have lots of older 68gr reloads with lower amounts of powders and that stuff has a different point of impact and bullet drop. And all my AR's have different barrel lengths and there's the POI shift to consider with the suppressor. It gets really confusing.

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    . Tests show that at 25yards the TAP will shoot almost 2" higher than POA would be with 55gr. I don't think this is that big of a deal since I would mainly just have one magazine of TAP for CQB in my house.

That has not been my experience at all - in fact when I switch from 55gr to 75gr OTM the shift in POI is neglibable at 50y - it's only at longer range where the difference really shines.

If you're getting a 2" difference at 25 yards, that's not a big ballistic difference between the two rounds (not enough difference in BC and MV) for that kind of shift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom