• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 1, 2012
    I’ve started doing all my shipping threw Pirate Ship. Lowest rates and you choose USPS or UPS. Box it up at home, print the label, just drop off at counter have then scan and give you receipt. None the wiser.
    Walk into post office counter counter or UPS store counter, state “I have a prepaid label”, they put it on scale to verify weight isn’t over, hand you your receipt acknowledging you turned it over to them, and away you go.
    To be clear, are we talking about firearms, or parts?
    If you're just talking parts, ignore the rest :)

[You can't ship a handgun via USPS regardless of where the label came from (unless you are a licensed dealer/manufacturer).
    I'm just trying to understand how "Pirate Ship" is any different than me making a label via Stamps.com or USPS.com?
    Are there magical (legal) properties to Pirate Ship that cloaks the package? It'd be great if there were...

Also UPS stores can't take firearms from anyone, and not a good idea anyway. They're franchises, not owned by UPS corp.

It's all good until, as someone mentioned above, the package gets lost and you have to report a lost/stolen firearm to the ATF.]

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    A BP rifle is not a firearm per Federal law unless it uses cartridges and that ammunition is readily available commercially.
    All pre-1899 cartridge guns are not firearms unless they are destructive devices or machine guns. You're using the NFA's definition of antique. GCA 1968 created the current definition of antique for non-NFA arms, and availability of ammo is not part of it.

The ammo availibility issue would apply to something like a Needham Conversion Springfield that would otherwise be a destructivr device because it uses fixrd cartridges with a .577 bore. But nobody makes 577 rimfire, so it's a nonfirearm under NFA's definition of antique.

Some states use the NFA-style definition of antique for all pre-1899 cartridge gins, some, like MD, use GCA's.

Last edited:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    All pre-1899 cartridge guns are not firearms unless they are destructive devices or machine guns. You're using the NFA's definition of antique. GCA 1968 created the current definition of antique for non-NFA arms, and availability of ammo is not part of it.

The ammo availibility issue would apply to something like a Needham Conversion Springfield that would otherwise be a destructivr device because it uses fixrd cartridges with a .577 bore. But nobody makes 577 rimfire, so it's a nonfirearm under NFA's definition of antique.

Some states use the NFA-style definition of antique for all pre-1899 cartridge gins, some, like MD, use GCA's.
    The only reason I mentioned it at all is that I assumed that OP was referring to muzzle loaders but did not say so. I knew if I said a BP rifle is not a firearm someone would come along and say something about a modern-produced BP cartridge arm being a firearm. That's all.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    You all realize that you don’t even need a description when shipping UPS right?

I just shipped a P320 slide and frame to a buddy of mine. Guess what? Walked straight into the counter at the UPS store, handed them my pre-paid package, they scanned it, gave me my receipt, and out the door I walked.

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    I'm a dealer....but I ship "parts" all the time. It's not their business what's in the box, it's parts as far as they know and as far as they will ever know. i have never once disclosed what's in my boxes and I never will.

Bluemoon

Jul 24, 2022
    Benton LA Bossier Parish
    Just a heads up if you plan on shipping any gun parts or firearms as of August 29th you cannot go to a main office and ship items. You must have an account and the items will be picked up by a driver. They do not care if you are shipping a pistol slide or a black powder rifle. I guess they do not care about how much money they are going to lose. I guess I'm going back to snail mail.

Just remember, it is tractor parts or truck parts. Easily insurable for the price of a gun. Keep them guessing. I ship all rifles and shotguns USPS. But that is here in Louisiana, not sure about Maryland.
    John

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Folks, you all are overthinking this. UPS DOES NOT ask for a description of what’s in the box.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Is this at ALL UPS locations? I know a year ago or so, the Frederick UPS hub had a sign that said no firearms, but I shipped a firearm out, told the lady, who shrugged her shoulders, and shipped it out. Now, the Westminster UPS store won't ship anything out gun related, so I always use a copier parts box, and throw a spare roller in the box and list it as copier parts. I shipped a rifle 6 months ago from the Sparks hub without issue. At least we can still ship rifles thru the US mail. Just have to make it registered if I recall what the clerk told me. She said her husband shipped them out that way.
    The "UPS Store" and "United Parcel Service" (UPS), are two SEPARATE mostly unrelated companies.

Most "UPS Stores" will not ship any firearms related items. (For at least the last 5 years)

I have not heard anything about "UPS"

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Folks, you all are overthinking this. UPS DOES NOT ask for a description of what’s in the box.
    Sure they do, it's a required field. But you can put whatever you want in, maybe WWNC is good.

FN509Fan

Ultimate Member
    Wondering if anything has ever gone missing and you had to file a claim.
    Just remember, it is tractor parts or truck parts. Easily insurable for the price of a gun. Keep them guessing. I ship all rifles and shotguns USPS.

Related but not totally off topic, I saw some sellers on Gun Broker shipping primers by USPS which is a no-no. Really surprised that GB doesn't monitor that.

fenianmaster

Apr 12, 2023
    Georgia

A Needham Conversion is a centerfire gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom