Upper to match 5D Tactical billet AR-10 lower?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rog951

Mar 6, 2018
    Not far from Frederick
    Hey guys,

I've got this lower-shaped aluminum paperweight from 5D Tactical and I was planning to pick up one of their complete uppers to ensure a good mating experience but it's been 10 months and they're just never in stock. SO, I got wondering - somebody here has built one of these successfully I bet!

The 5d site says any DPMS gen1 compatible upper will work but I've heard that one before - anyone have a suggestion for a likely good match? I'm mainly looking at pre-built with headspace already worked out as I'm not at that level yet. Probably 18"-20" barrel length is what I'm thinking. Would appreciate any suggestions.

Will probably post a separate thread later for a similar AR-9 situation I'm in with a 5D lower, but let's keep this one pointed at the .308 I think.

Thanks!

Rog

cotman68

Feb 21, 2010
    Stewartstown, Pa
    I used an Aero M5 for my upper receiver and it fit to that particular lower. As far as headspace, I used a set of go/ no go gauges to verify headspace was correct. BCG was Aero as well with a Wilson Combat barrel and Larue trigger. Shoots great and 0 malfunctions so far.

rog951

Mar 6, 2018
    Not far from Frederick
    I used an Aero M5 for my upper receiver and it fit to that particular lower. As far as headspace, I used a set of go/ no go gauges to verify headspace was correct. BCG was Aero as well with a Wilson Combat barrel and Larue trigger. Shoots great and 0 malfunctions so far.

Hey, thanks for the reply! I was poking around on the Aero site for a Black Friday deal on a complete 308 receiver - they had one with an 18" barrel that was really close to what I was thinking, and for a pretty fair price, but it sold out while I was researching. Ended up grabbing a 9mm complete upper instead so at least that's done. Will keep an eye on Aero for the AR-10 stuff - maybe they will be back in stock before too long.

Top Bottom