Upgrading M16 - Quest for Ultimate firepower for Citizens.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    As most of you guys know a while back I picked up a Rock Island Armory converted Sendra M16 registered receiver. The FCG was colt but pretty much everything else was cheap or out of date. So I have pretty much stripped everything except the trigger group and started over.

For the lower I have:
    KAC Ambi FA Selector
    Troy Ambi Mag Release
    Tango Down Grip with Battery Storage
    Bravo Company Extended BHO (Heavily modified)
    LMT Buffer Tube and Buffer
    Noveske QD Endplate
    Tubbs Flatwire CS Spring
    Colt Stock (when using standard uppers)

Dsc02356.jpg

The goal from the start has been to turn this into a belt fed gun in an attempt to deliver the a modern upper with the maximum amount of firepower. I ran into a good deal on a used Shrike upper, latest generation and jumped on a trade. Total cost to me will be about $2600 which is just over half price and it came with LOTS of accessories including a spare 20" barrel.

Dsc02355.jpg

I added ARMS BUIS. Since this then raises the sights about an inch higher than standard AR/M16 sights, I had to address the stock. Since this is now a side charging handle, a raised comb is not an issue. I wanted to go with a SAW M249 stock. However the SAW buffer tube is slightly smaller. So I spend several hours slowing sanding the inside of the stock, which is a steel insert, to fit the standard M16 Milspec buffer tube. Still have some more work to do but is almost done.

Dsc02357.jpg

Included in the package deal was a GG&G Bipod, a Tango Down Vertical Grip. Both have QD functions and are very nice!

Dsc02361.jpg

I have no idea why the previous owner bought a 20" barrel but he did. I would normally resell this but I do plan to adapt this to a M192 tripod. In that case, it might be interesting to use at longer range. So I will keep it for now.

Dsc02358.jpg

Future upgrades will included Optics. I am doing a lot of research in this area. I want something NV compatible. I am looking at ACOGs, EOtechs with Magnifiers, Elcans 1-4x.... maybe others.

Dsc02359.jpg

After that I plan to add a 12" barrel and a Suppressor. Probably a Saker 556.

Anyway, thought you all might like to see how its been going! I will try and add some video of it shooting soon. Still working through some issues with the feeding of belts.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Civilians doesn't need such weapons!!

But wish I do.. Nice!! You and scarcqb with your nfa collections.. Lol

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Civilians doesn't need such weapons!!

But wish I do.. Nice!! You and scarcqb with your nfa collections.. Lol

The owner of a certain CVS in Baltimore could certainly make the argument! :) This is not a Machinegun, its Riot Control!

Come join us! It does not happen over night but if you want in, you can make it happen! I was thinking about it when I got this upper. This is the culmination of about 3-4 years of working to this point. I made the determination to go with this Shrike and started saving and deciding on which M16 to buy sometime around late 2011... early 2012. I figure it will probably take me another 1-2 years to finish this project of with a suppressor!

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    The owner of a certain CVS in Baltimore could certainly make the argument! :) This is not a Machinegun, its Riot Control!

Come join us! It does not happen over night but if you want in, you can make it happen! I was thinking about it when I got this upper. This is the culmination of about 3-4 years of working to this point. I made the determination to go with this Shrike and started saving and deciding on which M16 to buy sometime around late 2011... early 2012. I figure it will probably take me another 1-2 years to finish this project of with a suppressor!
    Lol

Wish I have the funds.. :(

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Beautiful! FWIW, I was looking at ACOG's for my AR, and then someone put an Elcan Spectre DR 1-4 in my hand. The Spectre rides on my AR today. I haven't looked at an ACOG for anything else since.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Lol
    Wish I have the funds.. :(

You might not have the funds now for this. However I hear it all the time. Sell some of those other guns and you will have the money for FA. This project is 100% funded by selling other items in my collection. Not one penny from a pay check. I don't have a ton of guns but the ones I do are expensive.

Beautiful! FWIW, I was looking at ACOG's for my AR, and then someone put an Elcan Spectre DR 1-4 in my hand. The Spectre rides on my AR today. I haven't looked at an ACOG for anything else since.

For me there are several factors. First, I HATE single red dots. Hate them. I need the 65 MOA cirlce around the dot like the Eotech and certain ACOGs have. Cross hairs do not work super will when you are standing and shooting a MG. Thats where the Elcan runs into the issue. Next is how well it integrates with Night vision. I do plan to shoot at night and don't want all the shooting to be with a laser. I want something I can use with the NV and still has some zoom! Like a 3X. To here are my current top tier of optics to put on it:

Trijicon ACOG TA11MGO-M249

Elcan Spectre DR

EoTech 558 With Magnifier and maybe the battery cap laser.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Well its getting shorter! Added a 12.5" barrel which also helps lighten it up. Its down to only 12lbs! :D Next I added a M249 ACOG. I have to admit it was a little painful to buy that but its a really nice optic!

IMG_20160203_195405861.jpg

Anyway, now I need some help. The ACOG is now taking up all but two slots in on the rear of the rail. So I need a BUIS that will fit under an ACOG and only take up two slots with its connection. The ARMS one I had just does not look of feel right sticking off the back. I need it to be standard height and good quality. Any ideas?

IMG_20160203_195414572.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom