• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kernal F.

Apr 23, 2013
    I asked this question a while back and did not get a clear answer--so I'll try again.

Can a person under 21 initiate a purchase order (?) for a soon to be banned weapon now, before 01 Oct. and transfer/purchase/receive said weapon after 01 Oct. when the person IS 21.

I could not find anything in SB281 stating that you must be 21 to ORDER a regulated weapon.

I asked MSP and they didn't answer my question--only said you must be 21 to purchase a regulated weapon. I am asking about ORDERING not purchasing. Maybe this answers my question? Thanks again.

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Leave it to MSP to give a half-assed answer. Do you mean a gun that won't ship for a few months? I don't know if it's illegal, but I'd assume you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who would be willing to send to the FFL/hold at FFL when you're not 21.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Clear answer NO, when you order you are entering a purchase agreement.

This.. you have to be 21 when ordering per the law. It doesn't say 20 and a half. Lol

If your 21st day is let's say sept. Yes order as you please.

RoKKboXXer

Feb 27, 2013
    Catonsville
    Not 100% sure on this but can't dealers continue to sell items already in their log to MD residents after October 1st? Maybe the OP can have a dealer hold one in inventory till he turns 21. Maybe a stretch, but maybe an option.

Bagpiperer

Mar 23, 2013
    Wouldn't grandfather clauses be challengable under the equal protection clause? Since there is no way a citizen under 21 can buy... and everyone else is good to go.

Though, given the ruling against the NRA regarding 18-year-olds buying handguns, I don't know how that would turn out.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Not 100% sure on this but can't dealers continue to sell items already in their log to MD residents after October 1st? Maybe the OP can have a dealer hold one in inventory till he turns 21. Maybe a stretch, but maybe an option.

dealers can sell but not to md resident.. at least from what i gathered.

Kernal F.

Apr 23, 2013
    Maybe the OP can have a dealer hold one in inventory till he turns 21. Maybe a stretch said:
    Yes--this. If (?) a 20 yr old (my son) can have a legitimate purchase order (this is the big question I think) for a back logged weapon before 01 Oct., he should be able to purchase/receive after he turns 21 and after 01 Oct.--I think??? Or maybe no way.

I myself have a purchase order for 2 regulated weapons and it is very unofficial looking--just a hand written receipt. The dealer did not verify my age. For all he knows I might be under 21. Maybe age doesn't matter to ORDER a weapon.

The situation is this: I live about 15 min. from the LWRC plant and our local ffl orders from them with a 4-5 month delivery date. IF the ffl would, or could write a purchase order for my 20 year old son, he could wait til he's 21 to go do the paper work. I would argue that ordering is not purchasing or possessing.

I wonder if some could reference 281 and show where it states the rules for ordering a weapon...I can't find it.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Just get the thing in your name and once he's legal, transfer it as a gift. Pay for it with his cash or yours. That's how I'm doing it with mine, the gun is mine until he's old enough to 'legally' own it.

It's not a big deal unless you make it a big deal.

Kernal F.

Apr 23, 2013
    Just get the thing in your name and once he's legal, transfer it as a gift. Pay for it with his cash or yours. That's how I'm doing it with mine, the gun is mine until he's old enough to 'legally' own it.

It's not a big deal unless you make it a big deal.

That's a perfect idea. I did not think I could do that--"transfer it as a gift". I thought I had to die and will it. Can I "gift" a banned assault rifle after 01 Oct.?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    No, this will not work with a currently regulated, banned after Oct 1 firearm. The only way to transfer one of them is upon the death the owner as of Oct 1.

So if you want to die so your son or daughter gets your banned firearm, go for it.

hogrider

Jan 23, 2013
    Don't get your panties in a roll...

ban will CLEARLY be overturned...MD can't partially ban a

class of semi-auto rifles that have been used by public 4-ever,

simply because they are scary.

RoKKboXXer

Feb 27, 2013
    Catonsville
    If they become banned after Oct. 1, Maryland residents can't buy them.

dealers can sell but not to md resident.. at least from what i gathered.

There seems to be nothing saying that it cant be sold to a md resident.

(2) A LICENSED FIREARMS DEALER MAY CONTINUE TO POSSESS, SELL, OFFER FOR SALE, OR TRANSFER AN ASSAULT LONG GUN OR A COPYCAT WEAPON THAT THE LICENSED FIREARMS DEALER LAWFULLY POSSESSED ON OR BEFORE OCTOBER 1, 2013.

Feb 28, 2013
    Don't get your panties in a roll...

ban will CLEARLY be overturned...MD can't partially ban a

class of semi-auto rifles that have been used by public 4-ever,

simply because they are scary.

Well, granted the Heller decision creates precedent for that now. But it's only good if someone decides to do somethng with it, like a lawsuit.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    There seems to be nothing saying that it cant be sold to a md resident.

(2) A LICENSED FIREARMS DEALER MAY CONTINUE TO POSSESS, SELL, OFFER FOR SALE, OR TRANSFER AN ASSAULT LONG GUN OR A COPYCAT WEAPON THAT THE LICENSED FIREARMS DEALER LAWFULLY POSSESSED ON OR BEFORE OCTOBER 1, 2013.
    This statement above only applies to FFL's so that they my sell their now (unlawful in MD) guns to people (or ffl's in other states.) so they are not stuck with illegal inventory.
    Elsewhere in the bill it states that MD residents cannot buy these guns after OCT. 1

kbarrett220

Jun 2, 2013
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Kernal F, to answer your question no. Not legally. By ordering the weapon evn online, you are attempting to gainpossession of a regulated firearm. That in itself based off of your age is illegal. I am extremely familiar with this topic because I am a Retired State Trooper who used to do trasfers for MSP and just recently when SB281 was passed, my son who is currenlty 20 and will be 21 next year wanted to purchase a few weapons on the banned list. he is currently a Ranger in the 101st Airborne Division assigned to a (Reconnaisance Surveillance Target Aquisition) R.S.T.A. Unit, For us old guys those used to be LRSD or LRRP Units. He uses am M4witt a select fire seer pin(NFA weapon) and a Mark25 and M9 pistols daily in the performance of his duties but he could not even initiate the process for a purchase of a rgulated firearm in maryland until he was 21. My suggestion is to have someone in your family form and NFA trust and make you a trustee. When you turn 21 you would have acces to those guns. That's what I had to do for my son

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    partyboytowsonhigh1956

Latest threads

Top Bottom