• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WatTyler

Ultimate Member
    I only hope the provenance of the Russian revolvers was researched a little more thoroughly than the F&S writeup, since Nicholas II was born five years after the referenced 1863 fleet visit.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Why can I picture some rich dweeb like Bloomberg buying then and then melting them down

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I’d say the collector who bought them in 1976 for $1500 did alright although he didn’t live to see the fruits of his purchase. I guess $1,000,000.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    In 2002, at Christie’s Americana Auction House, the Lafayette/Washington pistols were sold for a whopping $1,986,000 to a local Pennsylvania foundation. The foundation purchased them in commemoration of the 250th anniversary of the French and Indian War—and in recognition of the critical role that Washington played, not only in that war, but in the birth of our democracy. In the spring of 2004, the foundation donated the pistols to the Fort Ligonier Museum in Ligonier, Pa., to be on display as part of the museum’s “Washington Collection.”

https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/the-lafayette-washington-pistols/

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    This is a terribly interesting auction. I'll set the provenance aside (because it's simply awsome).

Everything I read about Grant and seeing these revolvers almost seem a stark contrast from one another.

Grant (aside from being probably the best General of the ACW) he was also very simple and sometimes elected the most basic of solutions to a problem. When West Point admissions got his name wrong on the rooster, he simply changed his name. Seige of Vicksburg was not terribly complicated, he remarked to "out-camp" the enemy. When he met Lee for terms of surrender, Lee put on his nicest uniform and Grant simply wore a muddied private's coat.

The revolvers are absolutely gorgeous. But if was going to imagine something that "flashy" owned by a ACW General, my first instinct would be the "showman" J.E.B. Stuart.

But that's just my take, not worth much. Just found them interesting when considered the type of man Grant was.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    This is a terribly interesting auction. I'll set the provenance aside (because it's simply awsome).

Everything I read about Grant and seeing these revolvers almost seem a stark contrast from one another.

Grant (aside from being probably the best General of the ACW) he was also very simple and sometimes elected the most basic of solutions to a problem. When West Point admissions got his name wrong on the rooster, he simply changed his name. Seige of Vicksburg was not terribly complicated, he remarked to "out-camp" the enemy. When he met Lee for terms of surrender, Lee put on his nicest uniform and Grant simply wore a muddied private's coat.

The revolvers are absolutely gorgeous. But if was going to imagine something that "flashy" owned by a ACW General, my first instinct would be the "showman" J.E.B. Stuart.

But that's just my take, not worth much. Just found them interesting when considered the type of man Grant was.

Probably why they are still basically NIB- he probably never even fired them nor did anyone else from the looks. Too flashy for his tastes.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    https://www.whiskey-lore.com/episodes/season-one/grant-lincoln-and-a-barrel-of-old-crow

" ....Grants tactics came into question during the carnage at the Battle of Shiloh. It was a victory, but a costly one, and it was suggested that Grant may have been drinking during the heavy loss of life and that he should be removed. Lincoln was reported to say, "I can't spare this man, he fights!""

If it's good enough for Grant, it's good enough for me. I have drunken worse whiskey. :innocent0

3220898.jpg

M1842

Jul 27, 2009

As I recall, JEB Stuart carried LeMats as his favored sidearms.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Wow.

I was a little low with $3.275 million (post #25).

Drum roll...

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I wasn't even remotely close. Wondering what effect inflation has had. Is it taking just that much more in devalued $ to close the deal?

Jul 1, 2012
    $5.17M was the realized price, so hammer must have been $4.4M? that's 3/4 of a mil buyers premium at RIA's 17.5% ... but maybe they cut some slack over a certain amount. Then the state gov't has to get their bite. But I guess if you're forking out that kind of dough, it just doesn't matter :)

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    $5.17M was the realized price, so hammer must have been $4.4M? that's 3/4 of a mil buyers premium at RIA's 17.5% ... but maybe they cut some slack over a certain amount. Then the state gov't has to get their bite. But I guess if you're forking out that kind of dough, it just doesn't matter :)
    Yes, 4.4 hammer. Willie and the poor boys......

Jul 1, 2012
    gotcha... so no break for the rich people on the buyer's premium :)
    I had heard that they do cut some slack on consignment fees but that may be a myth too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom