• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kmittleman

Nov 22, 2010
    Howard County
    Hi all,

My Uberti 1861 saga continues. It turns out that it’s very accurate and shoots DEAD ON. Do you all know if all the Uberti 1861’s shoot this way these days? Apart from that nice surprise, I find that 1-2 of the chambers release the ball after I’ve loaded all 6 chambers. I’ve been loading 20 gr of BP, a wad, and either a .375 or .380 round ball (either shaves a lead ring).What happens is that in 1-2 or the chambers, the plunger pulls the ball out and I have to push it back in with a dowel. There’s also an audible difference in the report ; 1-2 of the chambers sound like more of a “puff”. Anyone had this issue?

It’s currently being looked at over at Taylor’s, but they claim there’s nothing wrong with it.

K

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Maybe you should post in the "Spooky Crap" thread.

My first thought was air being compressed in those two cylinders from clogged nipples but probably not.

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    You have the typical unsymmetrical chamber borings of an Italian replica. They're probably cut bigger than the other 4 and are not sealing properly. Mic them and see...you'll understand when tearing one of these guns down that fit and finish are not the strong suit of them (thus cost stays low). Jump up in ball size to .380 and it should go away. My old Walker did the same thing until I bumped up to .454s, as 1 chamber would always do exactly as yours down with 451s. Never used a .451 in one, since (all hand-cast .457s these days). Take a stone to the plunger too...probably too sharp on the edges.

Also: side note. ALWAYS use SlixShot nipples...they are not an option on the replicas. They make them usable.

Last edited:

kmittleman

Nov 22, 2010
    Howard County
    You have the typical unsymmetrical chamber borings of an Italian replica. They're probably cut bigger than the other 4 and are not sealing properly. Mic them and see...you'll understand when tearing one of these guns down that fit and finish are not the strong suit of them (thus cost stays low). Jump up in ball size to .380 and it should go away. My old Walker did the same thing until I bumped up to .454s, as 1 chamber would always do exactly as yours down with 451s. Never used a .451 in one, since (all hand-cast .457s these days). Take a stone to the plunger too...probably too sharp on the edges.

Also: side note. ALWAYS use SlixShot nipples...they are not an option on the replicas. They make them usable.
    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately it does that with .375, .376, and .380 round balls. Midway said I could send it back so I may do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom