• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bshedwick

Apr 3, 2013
    Baltimore County
    One of my friends grandfather's just passed away. While cleaning his basement, he came across an WWII Japanese Type 99. Looks to be in good shape. The only thing that looks rough is the bayonet (rusting).

Intact chrysanthemum.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      54.2 KB · Views: 202
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      14 KB · Views: 201
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      42.8 KB · Views: 194

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Very nice looking Type 99, Can you get us some pictures of the left side of the receiver so we can tell you who manufactured your rifle and what series it is? Some pictures of the Bayonet markings would help also. You can use this website as a reference for markings. However, two issues I can see is that it looks like the handguard is missing and somebody may have cut the rear barrel band in half.

http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/japanese_markings.html

bshedwick

Apr 3, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Very nice looking Type 99, Can you get us some pictures of the left side of the receiver so we can tell you who manufactured your rifle and what series it is? Some pictures of the Bayonet markings would help also. You can use this website as a reference for markings. However, two issues I can see is that it looks like the handguard is missing and somebody may have cut the rear barrel band in half.

http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/japanese_markings.html

This is my friend's rifle. He's not much of a gun guy, so I'm only a proxy.

I'll try to get some more pictures. Thanks for the help. I'm sure he will appreciate it.

6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    If no one chimes in by tonight, I'll check my book and let you know what arsenal built it. That's the symbol on the right. Can you describe the symbol on the left? That will tell us what series it is, meaning in what production run this was made.

6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    The symbol on the right looks like it's the Nagoya Arsenal mark. One large circle with a medium and small circle inside the larger one, stacked on top each other. It's supposed to represent two Japanese fighting fish head to head. Nagoya is on the southern coast of Honshu and operated from 1923 - 1945. My info is taken from Japanese Rifles of WWII, Duncan O. McCollum.

bshedwick

Apr 3, 2013
    Baltimore County
    The symbol on the right looks like it's the Nagoya Arsenal mark. One large circle with a medium and small circle inside the larger one, stacked on top each other. It's supposed to represent two Japanese fighting fish head to head. Nagoya is on the southern coast of Honshu and operated from 1923 - 1945. My info is taken from Japanese Rifles of WWII, Duncan O. McCollum.

Thanks. I'll try to get some more info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom