• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gummy

May 16, 2009
    Eden
    I need both barrel band retainers for a Type 53 Mosin. Mine were paper thin from rust on the backside. They looked fine on the exposed side. Anybody have some extras for sale or trade? They don't need to be pretty. Thanks

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I do have a spare pair. One is a Tula star marked, the larger band I think, and the smaller band is an Isvhesk (sp?). I can mail them if interested, but probably won't make it to the post office until the middle of the week, Wed or Thurs. But, if you want them, I'll keep them for you.

Gummy

May 16, 2009
    Eden
    I do have a spare pair. One is a Tula star marked, the larger band I think, and the smaller band is an Isvhesk (sp?). I can mail them if interested, but probably won't make it to the post office until the middle of the week, Wed or Thurs. But, if you want them, I'll keep them for you.

I need the pieces that keep the bands in place not the bands themselves. Sorry for not being clear in my post. Thanks for looking:thumbsup:.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I have a set on n old stock. they are on an izzy. will they help? if so they are yours. let me know.... im not very knowledgeable o the mosins

Gummy

May 16, 2009
    Eden
    I have a set on n old stock. they are on an izzy. will they help? if so they are yours. let me know.... im not very knowledgeable o the mosins

I don't know much about Mosin's either but I think they would work.

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    speaking of needing parts,

Does anyone have (or know where I can get) the small top stock piece that covers the top of the barrel. I was de-cosmolining the new one I got Friday and it fell apart in my hands after I took the bands off :(

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA

Chinese T-53

the handguard was almost rotted or like it had been soaked in water at some point and was really weak. The cosmo under it acted like glue and when I tried to pull it from the barrel the wood just fell apart.

Not sure it belonged on this gun as the bore and metal are actually quite good. Not dark or rusty. So its not like the front half of the gun was sitting in a lake or anything.

Very much appreciate the link!

Jeff

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Chinese T-53

the handguard was almost rotted or like it had been soaked in water at some point and was really weak. The cosmo under it acted like glue and when I tried to pull it from the barrel the wood just fell apart.

Not sure it belonged on this gun as the bore and metal are actually quite good. Not dark or rusty. So its not like the front half of the gun was sitting in a lake or anything.

Jeff

If it was an original T-53 h/g it was likely chu wood - a lot different than used on Ruskie Mosins. Most (but not all) M-44 parts are interchangeable with T-53's since the '53 is a copy. I'd try an M-44 h/g which shouldn't be too hard to find.

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    I've seen some new repro M44 hand-guards in ebay and listed by a couple venders. They will probably fit but may look a bit out of place on an old beat up T53. I am on the lookout for one too for my U-Fix-Em T53's with half a handguard.

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    The link Doc posted has M44 hand guards which should fit. Not cheap though, About $30 or so with shipping. I may try a few shows to see if I can pick one up cheap but that link is always a great backup.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Chinese T-53

Jeff

In that case, try this link. Depending on the wood used on the stock, it may or may not match, but it will work. Most of the Chinese Type 53s that are coming in now are cobbled together anyway. [Edit: Oops ... just saw that you had already seen that link. Yeah ... use it for a backup. That sort of thing also pops up now and then on eBay, so check there. You may also want to call the place you got it from, explain the situation, and ask if they have one parted out that you can buy from them. They inevitably get defective rifles returned, and often will sell you (or sometimes give you) a replacement part from one of those. It depends on the company.]

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=957&idcategory=0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom