Type 03 C&R FFL renewal in MoCo...CLEO is MSP Licensing Division?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    Anyone know who the Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) that is supposed to receive copies of ATF applications for those living in Germantown is?

Not too long ago I sent something to the sheriff in Rockville and they sent it right back. You'd think they'd either transfer the supposed documents to the correct Law Enforcement entity or inform the sender who the correct entity is, but no.

If anyone here knows, please post down below.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    This guy?

In the good ol' days, the MoCo sheriff would not sign off on NFA stuff, so you had to send your request to the MSP and they would do the background check. Then, later, ATF changed it to just notify. Pretty sure it's the State Police.

MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    Last year that guy's office sent a previous copy of an ATF application (for something else) back, with no explanation whatsoever. Envelope opened, taped shut, sent back to me on the original stamp I had put.

I know MSP in Reisterstown isn't local to Germantown, but...

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Anyone know who the Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) that is supposed to receive copies of ATF applications for those living in Germantown is?

Not too long ago I sent something to the sheriff in Rockville and they sent it right back. You'd think they'd either transfer the supposed documents to the correct Law Enforcement entity or inform the sender who the correct entity is, but no.

If anyone here knows, please post down below.

Thanks in advance!
    CLEO in AA County is the County Police Chief, might be same for MOCO.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I wouldn't worry about it, you're supposed to notify the CLEO. You sent the notificaton. You did your part.

This.

The entire "notify the CLEO" thing is meaningless.

First, there is no clear answer to the question "Who is the CLEO?"

Second, there is nothing the CLEO is supposed to do with the application. Yours was probably returned to you because the person who opened it correctly realized there was nothing for him to do with it, and he wanted to get rid of it. Undoubtedly, virtually all applications get trashed. The remaining few get mailed back.

Third, this means there is no way to confirm that anyone ever did send the CLEO copy to a CLEO. If anyone at the ATF cared to check (and NO ONE CARES), there is nothing to check.

Don't worry about it. You fulfilled your obligation to send your copy to someone you thought was a CLEO, and you are therefore in full compliance.

Not that anyone will ever, or CAN ever, know one way or another.

MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    This.

Second, there is nothing the CLEO is supposed to do with the application. Yours was probably returned to you because the person who opened it correctly realized there was nothing for him to do with it, and he wanted to get rid of it. Undoubtedly, virtually all applications get trashed. The remaining few get mailed back.

Third, this means there is no way to confirm that anyone ever did send the CLEO copy to a CLEO. If anyone at the ATF cared to check (and NO ONE CARES), there is nothing to check.

Don't worry about it. You fulfilled your obligation to send your copy to someone you thought was a CLEO, and you are therefore in full compliance.

Not that anyone will ever, or CAN ever, know one way or another.

I tend to agree, and even though I sent it, unless I do it registered mail, there's no way for me to prove that I sent it. With that said, in both of my cases, they were/are ATF requirements, no matter how stupid. Tomorrow I will search for a chief of police for MoCo, and if I can't find one, it'll go to the sheriff.

Thanks for the replies!

Coehorn

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2024
    Baltimore County
    Last year that guy's office sent a previous copy of an ATF application (for something else) back, with no explanation whatsoever. Envelope opened, taped shut, sent back to me on the original stamp I had put.

I know MSP in Reisterstown isn't local to Germantown, but...
    With the MGA and Maryland police departments supporting gun owner's rights, I'm surprised they treated you that way.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I tend to agree, and even though I sent it, unless I do it registered mail, there's no way for me to prove that I sent it. With that said, in both of my cases, they were/are ATF requirements, no matter how stupid. Tomorrow I will search for a chief of police for MoCo, and if I can't find one, it'll go to the sheriff.
    I hand-delivered mine to the Takoma Park PD, to be passed to the Chief. I've done this a few times, as I like to let my FFL03 lapse, and shred the bound book, as permitted.

I always tell them that it's merely informational, they're not required to do anything with or about it, and they're welcome to circular file it if they wish.

True nothingburger. I worry more about running out of coffee beans for my wake-up cuppa.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    This.

There is ... sort of .

Back in the days when CLEO Signatures were required and sought by applicants, ATF had a non exclusive list that they automatically accepted at face value.

Head of State Police
    Chief of County Police
    Chief of Municipal Police
    . Head Prosecuting Attorney of your jurisdiction.
    . Or any of their designers

Third, this means there is no way to confirm that anyone ever did send the CLEO copy to a CLEO.

Send it Registered Mail , Return Recipt , if you want to be belt & suspenders.

The recipient doesn't have to take any action with it , you just have to send it .

If they return it , or throw it in the trash , you've still met your obligation.

MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    Thanks for the replies and for the explanation above about how the system is based on how things used to be done!

I sent it to this Gentleman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom