• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    We live off ivymill 10 minutes by car and it was a smoke cloud into the night and the moon looked hazy.

Thankfully the contained it so quickly!

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    It came within a 100 feet of my buddy's back fence. He has a farm on Wards Chapel and he spent all evening/night moving trailers, campers, farm animals, family, etc.. Luckily he is moving everything back today.

My son-in-law (ANG/Blackhawk crew chief) was not called, but he knows all the guys flying.

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    It came within a 100 feet of my buddy's back fence. He has a farm on Wards Chapel and he spent all evening/night moving trailers, campers, farm animals, family, etc.. Luckily he is moving everything back today.

My son-in-law (ANG/Blackhawk crew chief) was not called, but he knows all the guys flying.
    Wow, he definitely dodged a bullet. Glad he's alright.

Slowhand

Pre-Banned
    Dec 13, 2011
    In a van, down by the river.
    Glad they got it knocked down. From memory (pinky swear), Soldiers Delight is a serpentine barren with rare and delicate soil (yes, really) that has unusual chemical composition (magnesium, making it blueish greenish), rare plant species, and is semi-sparse (hence barren) vegitatively. I used to work nearby and take my girlfriend to watch the occasional submarine races there.

fogman

Chromium and asbestos were both mined at Soldier's Delight. I've been told.they don't allow mountain biking or horseback riding because it stirs up the soil.
    Fire is a natural benefit for the barren. It removes the non native plants. The native blackjack and post oak aren't affected by fire as much as the invasive pine. There is also a symbiotic relationship between the ants and oak trees and some native wildflowers.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Chromium and asbestos were both mined at Soldier's Delight. I've been told.they don't allow mountain biking or horseback riding because it stirs up the soil.
    Fire is a natural benefit for the barren. It removes the non native plants. The native blackjack and post oak aren't affected by fire as much as the invasive pine. There is also a symbiotic relationship between the ants and oak trees and some native wildflowers.

Early on, late 80's, we mountain biked there before the ordinance/law/whatever came to be. It wasn't so much our destination, as we came in from Liberty Reservoir. I've come to have high regard for the unique landscape...similar landscape over in Robert E. Lee park, now called something less triggering.

Troublesbrewin

Handgunner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 17, 2013
    Ellicott City
    I drove through some of the affected area yesterday evening, looks to have been primarily a grass fire. Some trees mostly pine were scorched up to 6’-7’ of their trunk, many were otherwise unaffected. Only a few were “burnt up” completely - where I saw them. Basically I drove from Liberty to Wards Chapel, north up to Deer Park Road. A lot of the grass fire was under power line and did very little damage. Still a strong odor of fire and there were a lot of very lucky home owners along the route I took. Much of the scorched earth will be back to normal by the end of June with only blacked tree trunks to tell of the near disaster.

Last edited:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I remember them doing controlled burns in Soldier's Delight some years ago.

Sounds like they were overdue for another, and the situation sorted itself out.

The Indians used to regularly burn over many forested areas to maintain their hunting grounds. In particular, they would burn over Serpentine Barrens, I suppose because the poor soil made them easier to maintain as open meadows.

"... Historically, the barrens of Pennsylvania and Maryland were maintained as grasslands for hunting grounds by the Susquehannock and other unknown Native American Tribes. Fires deliberately set by Native Americans were responsible for maintaining the grassland/savannah communities found in the serpentine barrens of the piedmont plateau. Post european invasion and settlement, these areas were used for grazing due to their "barrenness". Barrens that were not grazed by livestock transitioned into a forest habitat. By 1930 almost all grazing in this area had ceased and conifer invasion and expansion began. Presently, afforestation has occurred in more than 90% of undeveloped serpentine barrens due to fire suppression."

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I remember them doing controlled burns in Soldier's Delight some years ago.

Sounds like they were overdue for another, and the situation sorted itself out.

The Indians used to regularly burn over many forested areas to maintain their hunting grounds. In particular, they would burn over Serpentine Barrens, I suppose because the poor soil made them easier to maintain as open meadows.

"... Historically, the barrens of Pennsylvania and Maryland were maintained as grasslands for hunting grounds by the Susquehannock and other unknown Native American Tribes. Fires deliberately set by Native Americans were responsible for maintaining the grassland/savannah communities found in the serpentine barrens of the piedmont plateau. Post european invasion and settlement, these areas were used for grazing due to their "barrenness". Barrens that were not grazed by livestock transitioned into a forest habitat. By 1930 almost all grazing in this area had ceased and conifer invasion and expansion began. Presently, afforestation has occurred in more than 90% of undeveloped serpentine barrens due to fire suppression."
    Good research

Burt

Jan 20, 2023
    Occupied
    This is what happens with .gov “manages” forests. They don’t log. They don’t get rid of the undesirables. They let the deer get out of control that eat the good trees/plants

And they block all the public’s access to what the public owns.

fogman

The Karen's on Facebook and Next Door are hilarious. They plan on coming out to Soldier's Delight to replant the trees and plants on the Serpentine Barren/Oak Savannah. They do realize the fire though dangerous, did what fire on the barren is suppose to do, burn off the non-native pine, greenbrier, barberry, mile-a-minute vine, decorative landscape grasses and numerous other invasive species? The hordes of do-gooders will probably trample the native plants underfoot as they stomp through to save the Savannah. If they just leave it alone and watch nature at work, the area will recover all on it's own, with the native plants getting a chance to get ahead. I'm looking forward to watching Nature go thru it's natural cycle.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    This is what happens with .gov “manages” forests. They don’t log. They don’t get rid of the undesirables. They let the deer get out of control that eat the good trees/plants

And they block all the public’s access to what the public owns.
    You are right. Soldier's Delight is not open for public use...

Oh wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom