• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • light12pdr

MDS Supporter
    Nov 6, 2015
    After getting all the paper work in order, I followed the instructions on the DC website and called for an appointment. No Answer, no return call. Days go by... I send an email. no response. Finally I start looking around the website and find a link for appointments. Nowhere does it say to make an appointment online to apply for the permit. I see appointment reasons on a drop down list and one of the is "Concealed Carry".
    I find a calendar and have to click forward in 2023, finally I see in April that appointments are available. Can this be true? it takes 2 months to be able to even apply for a Carry permit in DC? They show that the permit takes 90 days, so that means 5 months before one can get a permit. Anyone have any insight on this?

light12pdr

MDS Supporter
    Nov 6, 2015
    Please call (202) 671-6705 for an appointment.
    They don't call answer or call back. Just found out that you must request an appointment online. Only found it by clicking around the website. Have to wait until April for the earliest available appointment. Went and looked again today, and their appointment portal is down. Can they be that busy?

LAC_MD

Oct 18, 2022
    Towson
    After getting all the paper work in order, I followed the instructions on the DC website and called for an appointment. No Answer, no return call. Days go by... I send an email. no response. Finally I start looking around the website and find a link for appointments. Nowhere does it say to make an appointment online to apply for the permit. I see appointment reasons on a drop down list and one of the is "Concealed Carry".
    I find a calendar and have to click forward in 2023, finally I see in April that appointments are available. Can this be true? it takes 2 months to be able to even apply for a Carry permit in DC? They show that the permit takes 90 days, so that means 5 months before one can get a permit. Anyone have any insight on this?
    Yeah make it online. Have all your paperwork in order including the gun registration paperwork otherwise you will be turned away.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    No specific help for getting an appointment, but good general info about DC permit at 10:30

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Appointment via the website were about a month out when I got my DC permit.

I also couldn't get anyone on the phone to help schedule a date/tim, so used the online appointment site.

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    Maybe they're all busy approving registrations and ccw permits.

Somebody just got theirs approved in 2 days.

Looks like the appointment site is also temporarily disabled. Interesting

Last edited:

Longhorse

MSI Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2021
    You have to sign up for an appointment online. Try to schedule an appointment for firearms registration rather than concealed carry. Last time I checked the portal, registration appointments were available much sooner than concealed carry appointments. When you show up for your appointment, bring all your concealed carry application paperwork and submit it all then. You need an appointment to get in the door, but they don’t check or care what kind of appointment you originally signed up for as long as you have all the paperwork and necessary documents.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Can anyone verify that the MD 16 hour course is not valid for DC? I have one source who informed me it was denied, but that was a while ago. I'm hoping it was an outlier.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Can anyone verify that the MD 16 hour course is not valid for DC? I have one source who informed me it was denied, but that was a while ago. I'm hoping it was an outlier.
    They wouldn't take my MD training so I had to take a separate D.C. class.

Maybe things are different now?

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    You might be able to request an exemption from the range requirement if your training was in the last 2 years but I haven't heard of anyone getting an exemption from the legal part.

Your instructor must also be DC approved.

I hear they used to accept MD W&C but that stopped a while ago.

Longhorse gave you some good info about the scheduling stuff.

CZ Peasy

Jun 29, 2012
    You have to take a DC approved class with a DC approved instructor. The live fire qualification form for MD and DC are different. However, the Maryland curriculum is substantially the same as DC so if you are smart you should take a single class that teaches both and provides the proper forms for both jurisdictions.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    You have to sign up for an appointment online. Try to schedule an appointment for firearms registration rather than concealed carry. Last time I checked the portal, registration appointments were available much sooner than concealed carry appointments. When you show up for your appointment, bring all your concealed carry application paperwork and submit it all then. You need an appointment to get in the door, but they don’t check or care what kind of appointment you originally signed up for as long as you have all the paperwork and necessary documents.
    Thank you. As has been pointed out, this is valuable information.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    MD training does NOT cover DC law, and the course of fire is different. Find someone that will do the DC law portion.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    MD training does NOT cover DC law, and the course of fire is different. Find someone that will do the DC law portion.
    Yeah, I knew that when I took the DC law class. Sadly, the teacher didn't find my query about taking his combined MD & DC permit class in early June, and by the time I took the DC law class, DC decided that MD's 16 hours of training plus the law class was insufficient to allow me to bear arms in DC.

After that, it became a matter of time and money. One has little comprehension of the expense and effort involved in exercising a basic human right, until such time as one attempts it.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Yeah, I knew that when I took the DC law class. Sadly, the teacher didn't find my query about taking his combined MD & DC permit class in early June, and by the time I took the DC law class, DC decided that MD's 16 hours of training plus the law class was insufficient to allow me to bear arms in DC.

After that, it became a matter of time and money. One has little comprehension of the expense and effort involved in exercising a basic human right, until such time as one attempts it.
    OK, that is new....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom