• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    [QUOTE="cyberalex, post: 6809271,, I wanted to point out the last fact you mentioned about not having a long gun in plain sight.
    [/QUOTE]

I is it * Legal * to have long guns in plain sight in your gun rack , propped in passenger seat, etc ( excluding Balt City , MoCo , and Leonardtown ) ? Yes

*Most of the time * is it Wise & Prudent out & about in normal populated areas ? Probably not , even just for the theft risk .
    On your farm , driving to your hunting spot , etc , use your personal judgement , as to the Wisdom of doing that actually Legal method .

[ Yeah , yeah BGOS is rampant in lots of ways . This particular instance , more discresion than required by law , may indeed often be * Wise * .

This reminds me , I meant to start a thread on this a cpl weeks ago . but I blinked and got distracted .]

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I never heard of people doing that.
    As an instructor and gunsmith, I often witnessed people retrieving uncased rifles from their vehicles to bring them in for sale or repair. They would do the same when buying a long gun or picking up a repair and going to their vehicle.

I constantly have a long gun in my vehicle and it's usually in plain view when I am in the vehicle. If I leave the vehicle it gets concealed/locked or I take it with me . I was pulled over with several AR's laying on my back seat a few years back. I wasn't warned or arrested.

None of the above is illegal in MD unless you live in a jurisdiction that prohibits a long gun from being visible during transportation.

cyberalex

MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2022
    Federalsburg, Maryland
    As an instructor and gunsmith, I often witnessed people retrieving uncased rifles from their vehicles to bring them in for sale or repair. They would do the same when buying a long gun or picking up a repair and going to their vehicle.

I constantly have a long gun in my vehicle and it's usually in plain view when I am in the vehicle. If I leave the vehicle it gets concealed/locked or I take it with me . I was pulled over with several AR's laying on my back seat a few years back. I wasn't warned or arrested.

None of the above is illegal in MD unless you live in a jurisdiction that prohibits a long gun from being visible during transportation.
    I knew that some jurisdictions had local gun laws, specifically on firearms in vehicles, but I keep forgetting the jurisdictions and what the restrictions were.

cyberalex

MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2022
    Federalsburg, Maryland
    [QUOTE="cyberalex, post: 6809271,, I wanted to point out the last fact you mentioned about not having a long gun in plain sight.

I is it * Legal * to have long guns in plain sight in your gun rack , propped in passenger seat, etc ( excluding Balt City , MoCo , and Leonardtown ) ? Yes

*Most of the time * is it Wise & Prudent out & about in normal populated areas ? Probably not , even just for the theft risk .
    On your farm , driving to your hunting spot , etc , use your personal judgement , as to the Wisdom of doing that actually Legal method .

[ Yeah , yeah BGOS is rampant in lots of ways . This particular instance , more discresion than required by law , may indeed often be * Wise * .

This reminds me , I meant to start a thread on this a cpl weeks ago . but I blinked and got distracted .]
    [/QUOTE]
    Theft was what concerned me the most, and putting police officers at an unease simply by seeing a firearm. Not all law enforcement like guns in the sense that we do, even if it's within bounds of state law.

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    A rifle can come in handy anytime. The mags are loaded and in quick reach....the BGOS is almost nauseating.

Attachments

• 20220609_145714.jpg
      20220609_145714.jpg
      365.6 KB · Views: 137

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    A rifle can come in handy anytime. The mags are loaded and in quick reach....the BGOS is almost nauseating.
    :thumbsup: Good to see that one is a Mini-14. Gotta love it when a plan comes together!

ETA - Upon zooming the plan fell apart. One should be a Mini-14, though. Perfect truck gun.

Last edited:

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I was stopped one morning on the way out of town from a waterfowl hunt and my shotgun (soaking wet from rain that morning) was unloaded, locked open (it's a semi auto) and barrel down on the passenger side floor, butt resting on the seat. I had sped up a bit before the
    50 sign and failed to notice the local PD sitting there just waiting for someone to do that.. lol

We had a brief conversation about the speed, he asked about the hunt and told me to be more careful when coming out of town. He knew the guys that I was hunting with and perhaps that helped, I dunno, but the shotgun sitting right there next to me in plain sight, yes, he saw and noticed it, was no issue. Most of us hunters back in the day had a rifle/shotgun rack in the back window of our pickups. My pickup two trucks ago had one, that was about 15yrs ago that I got rid of it. We regularly transported our long guns that way, as it was safe (always unloaded) and a very convenient place to mount a 2 rifle rack.

Yes, I carried an AR rifle and a loaded mag or two for about a year when covid first hit and I had to be traveling to work every day. I really wasn't sure what would happen and I didn't want to take any chances. I didn't have a carry permit, so it was the next best thing imo...

OMD6dawg

It's strange because the WCP class doesn't go over how to use the mentioned devices in self-defense.
    It doesn’t, but being a concerned citizen, when I purchased my 1st actuated knife, I knew I had to have a W&C permit to carry that as well, because I read the statutes. The class most definitely should cover this, but it’s your own duty to research the laws in your area/State as well.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It doesn’t, but being a concerned citizen, when I purchased my 1st actuated knife, I knew I had to have a W&C permit to carry that as well, because I read the statutes. The class most definitely should cover this, but it’s your own duty to research the laws in your area/State as well.

Actually , you Can carry your actuated knife without a W&C . You just can't conceal , or carry with criminal intent .

cyberalex

MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2022
    Federalsburg, Maryland
    True. I just wish that understanding the laws was easier.

LuckyShot

Pissing off Liberals
    Apr 13, 2010
    on 270
    I dont think there is anything wrong with truck guns. What i worry about is it escalating a routine traffic stop to crazy levels. Especially in blue-MD.

I've watched tooooo many traffic stops on video

One flash into your backseat lmao

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    True. I just wish that understanding the laws was easier.

It's easier if you don't make them up.
    There is no law in Maryland that says a gun, long or short, has to be "out of reach."

You may drive with an unloaded long gun in your lap and a loaded magazine clenched in your teeth.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yeah

Md. CRIMINAL LAW Code Ann. § 4-101​

Says that the following weapons are prohibited unless a person has a permit to carry.

dirk knife, bowie knife, switchblade knife, star knife, sandclub, metal knuckles, razor, and nunchaku

So these are all fair game with your wear and carry permit.

Once again , the above listed and more CAN be carried w/o a W&C Permit .

They can't be * Concealed * , or carried openly with Criminal Intent . ( Case law gets fuzzy about the specific * What * is intended . Sometimes Criminal generally , sometimes referred to comit violence . But if your not intending any of : commit crimes , deal drugs , F' somebody up with it , you're good .)

Knife case on the belt can hold an automatic knife as easily as the usual lockback . I haven't tried to fit Brass Knuckles into an iPhone/ smartphone case , but I'm sure it could be done . ( Reminds me I'm remiss in not yet having finger shaped paperweights in my collection .) Blackjacks ( aka slapper depending on your local vernacular ) are made with IWB type clips . The typical intention is for the 'Jack to be inside the waistband , but would probably work reversed . ( Reminds me I don't yet have a clip equipped one in my collection of defensive impact tools .)

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Where did you get that?
    I like it for hunting.
    Looks like a soft case will fit in the sleeve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom