• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Got many trout fishermen on here? If so post up any information about stocking, reports, techniques, bait, lures, and flys.

They have been stocking all around the state for the past 2 weeks or so. The best place to find out where they have stocked is on FB. DNR didn’t put out a stocking schedule this year, and post where and how many, after they have been stocked.

My son has gotten me back into trout fishing after many years of not going.
    We went out this past Friday evening, and early Saturday morning to Fountain Rock Park, in Frederick. Both times we limited out in just a few minutes! The limit is 2 a day.

Anyways, here’s a picture of Friday evenings catch.
    Forgot to take pictures of Saturday’s catch.

Attachments

• 0F1F7B67-E53F-4952-A85E-A12295319D73.jpg
      0F1F7B67-E53F-4952-A85E-A12295319D73.jpg
      163.1 KB · Views: 398

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I keep saying I'm gonna get back into it I even bought new 4wt fly line last year.

Maybe I'll post an old pick...

Attachments

• 20190817_180251.jpg
      20190817_180251.jpg
      85.9 KB · Views: 354
    Last edited:

Ravitch

Feb 28, 2021
    Cape St. Claire
    I've really wanted to get into fly fishing, and bought a (mostly complete) setup, but just have never gotten out. I don't really know what I'm doing vice my regular freshwater fishing. Farthest I've gotten is out to the local park to practice casting. If you or anyone experienced can ever tolerate a tag along, definitely let me know!

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    Got many trout fishermen on here? If so post up any information about stocking, reports, techniques, bait, lures, and flys.

They have been stocking all around the state for the past 2 weeks or so. The best place to find out where they have stocked is on FB. DNR didn’t put out a stocking schedule this year, and post where and how many, after they have been stocked.

My son has gotten me back into trout fishing after many years of not going.
    We went out this past Friday evening, and early Saturday morning to Fountain Rock Park, in Frederick. Both times we limited out in just a few minutes! The limit is 2 a day.

Anyways, here’s a picture of Friday evenings catch.
    Forgot to take pictures of Saturday’s catch.

Facebook tells you were they stock trout.?
    What site?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've really wanted to get into fly fishing, and bought a (mostly complete) setup, but just have never gotten out. I don't really know what I'm doing vice my regular freshwater fishing. Farthest I've gotten is out to the local park to practice casting. If you or anyone experienced can ever tolerate a tag along, definitely let me know!
    You are very near good striper fly fishing waters at Cape St. Claire

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I haven’t fished in Maryland in years I like to give West Virginia my money. Catching these brutes pretty common occurrence. My brother in law caught this one last October, I had one on just about the same size at the same time about 50 yards down river but lost mine.
    I’m headed back down on Wednesday and the weather is supposed to be nice for a change.

Attachments

• 1DE10BAC-FAD6-4F3A-B00E-4F08943AEC5F.jpg
      1DE10BAC-FAD6-4F3A-B00E-4F08943AEC5F.jpg
      85.8 KB · Views: 361

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I haven’t fished in Maryland in years I like to give West Virginia my money. Catching these brutes pretty common occurrence. My brother in law caught this one last October, I had one on just about the same size at the same time about 50 yards down river but lost mine.
    I’m headed back down on Wednesday and the weather is supposed to be nice for a change.

Nice fish! Yeah, Maryland doesn’t have anything like that. Biggest trout I’ve seen caught in Maryland was on the north branch of the potomac river, and that’s a hike from me here in Frederick.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Nice fish! Yeah, Maryland doesn’t have anything like that. Biggest trout I’ve seen caught in Maryland was on the north branch of the potomac river, and that’s a hike from me here in Frederick.

Yeah, and what’s funny about that is that trout was more than likely stocked by West Virginia. Both states have stocking schedules for that stream.
    The Casselman in Grantsville has a few like this in it, but it’s delayed harvest and a limit of 2 and no natural bait.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Yeah, and what’s funny about that is that trout was more than likely stocked by West Virginia. Both states have stocking schedules for that stream.
    The Casselman in Grantsville has a few like this in it, but it’s delayed harvest and a limit of 2 and no natural bait.

Good to know. Now that you mentioned it, I could definitely see how the overlap in stocking could very easily happen.

I’d love to make it out that way this spring to try my luck.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Good to know. Now that you mentioned it, I could definitely see how the overlap in stocking could very easily happen.

I’d love to make it out that way this spring to try my luck.

Come on out, West Virginia stocks weekly March thru May and that stretch is good to go with a Maryland license. But don’t be a Maryland resident and try to fish it with a West Virginia license, that’ll get you a fine which is a bunch of BS, but welcome to Maryland and their ****ed up laws.
    I go to the Smoke holes and North fork. My BiL lives just outside of Petersburg and that comes in handy at times.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    I’m assuming I signed up on the DNR website years ago, but I receive Spring and Fall trout stocking emails each week. Sometimes more often than that.
    I’ve been getting them for a few years now, so don’t ask me where on site I signed up :D

The email gives me every location in every county with amount and type of fish. Makes things easy!

Attachments

• D9FE87E7-3AAF-47FB-BEF0-F0DB43A477C4.jpg
      D9FE87E7-3AAF-47FB-BEF0-F0DB43A477C4.jpg
      64 KB · Views: 271

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    Just got the email with stocking info for today.

Attachments

• 2034B107-07E7-4EA0-9443-A3A7EBE2B63C.jpg
      2034B107-07E7-4EA0-9443-A3A7EBE2B63C.jpg
      64.3 KB · Views: 249

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country

What rivers are you fishing here?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Dang guys. Stocking near my house on the Potapsco. No luck this spring. Went the day they stocked along with a couple of dozen other guys and didn't look like anyone was catching anything. Didn't see any bites and the couple guys I chatted with when leaving around dusk didn't get any bites or see anyone getting any bites.

So not sure if they all went straight down stream or if the water was too cold and not ready to start biting. Didn't have a chance to head back as we got heavy snows the next day.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'd love to do it, I just have to get serious about finding a mentor or diving into research. I first caught the fever in Hawaii watching dude fly fish the reef for Bonefish, was amazing to watch.

Find some videos done by Lefty Kreh.
    One of the world's foremost fly casters. He was also a Maryland boy.
    I used to teach it but we are miles apart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom