• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tiff380

Oct 11, 2022
    Maryland
    Hi! I've been trying to read up on the laws and can't seem to find any clear answers. If a person in Maryland does NOT have their CCW can they travel to PA with a handgun? For example I would like to go to a orchard in PA. Can I legally take my handgun with me? If anyone can clarify I would be very appreciative.

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    I’m pretty sure you can OC in PA, but check the laws to make sure. I do know that OC is illegal in Philly and Pissburg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tiff380

Oct 11, 2022
    Maryland
    In the top right corner of this page is a button called "Search". This question has been asked hundreds of times.
    I did and was coming up with traveling through not to. Maybe you could give me better key words then I was putting in? I'm new and still figuring out how to navigate.

Tiff380

Oct 11, 2022
    Maryland
    I’m pretty sure you can OC in PA, but check the laws to make sure. I do know that OC is illegal in Philly and Pissburg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I'm wondering about the traveling in Maryland side of it since it's not to a range.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Find some ranges, shops or gunsmiths that you were traveling to in PA.
    Once in PA OC if you like.

Tiff380

Oct 11, 2022
    Maryland
    Find some ranges, shops or gunsmiths that you were traveling to in PA.
    Once in PA OC if you like.
    Like That's where I was headed but changed my mind once I crossed state lines? Lol What about on the way back? Does it have to be from a range then also I wonder.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Open carry ONCE IN PA is ok. As suggested above, find a range outside of md that you may or may not be visiting that day. PA doesn't care about side trips so all that BS stops at the border. Don't have your gat loaded in MD without your permit (I am assuming that you have applied and are waiting).

Tiff380

Oct 11, 2022
    Maryland
    Open carry ONCE IN PA is ok. As suggested above, find a range outside of md that you may or may not be visiting that day. PA doesn't care about side trips so all that BS stops at the border. Don't have your gat loaded in MD without your permit (I am assuming that you have applied and are waiting).
    I only have my HQL. No carry permit.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I only have my HQL. No carry permit.
    Keep it cased and empty in MD. Once in PA, gas it up and holster. If out of your car, keep it visible to a reasonable person (at least some recognizable part, usually the rear of the frame and slide, should be outside of any clothing). Before returning to MD, stop and reverse the process.

Unless you are blabbing to a cop at a traffic stop or there's PC visible to get you out and toss the car, how will any officer know that there's a gun (empty and legal) in the laptop case or tool box on the rear seat floor area near the big crate of apples you picked that day? Even if you were to be discovered in possession of said legal and empty pistol, and you keep your mouth shut, they will have a hell of a time proving that you aren't coming back from a range or gun store in PA.

Should an arrest for this BS offense ever make it to trial, your attorney will doubtless have a laundry list of appropriate locations that the arresting officer would need to prove that you did not visit.

Rule zero applies: nothing that offers PC should be visible in your car and never talk about anything unrelated to the primary offense for which you were pulled over. Ever.

Tiff380

Oct 11, 2022
    Maryland
    Keep it cased and empty in MD. Once in PA, gas it up and holster. If out of your car, keep it visible to a reasonable person (at least some recognizable part, usually the rear of the frame and slide, should be outside of any clothing). Before returning to MD, stop and reverse the process.

Unless you are blabbing to a cop at a traffic stop or there's PC visible to get you out and toss the car, how will any officer know that there's a gun (empty and legal) in the laptop case or tool box on the rear seat floor area near the big crate of apples you picked that day? Even if you were to be discovered in possession of said legal and empty pistol, and you keep your mouth shut, they will have a hell of a time proving that you aren't coming back from a range or gun store in PA.

Should an arrest for this BS offense ever make it to trial, your attorney will doubtless have a laundry list of appropriate locations that the arresting officer would need to prove that you did not visit.

Rule zero applies: nothing that offers PC should be visible in your car and never talk about anything unrelated to the primary offense for which you were pulled over. Ever.
    Awesome advice! I appreciate it. While I've got the attention of a couple people would anyone be able to clarify a couple other things possibly? What does the handgun go in when traveling? Case AND holster with a flap? The website didn't sound very clear. Does case have to be locked? Does ammo have to come out of mag when stored separately in vehicle? Again I appreciate any information and the time of those sharing it with me.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    When transporting, any enclosed case or holster is legal. Unless you already own a flap holster, why buy one? Just use any gun case or sleeve you own that zips, snaps, etc. I often put them in single cases or sleeves and then toss all of the cases in my bag/backpack/etc. I like drill/saw bags as they are durable but are clearly tool company branded (good luck justifying how a tool bag is PC to look for guns!) Or a large laptop case.

Case does not need to be locked. That pile of BS comes from people conflating MD law with Volkmer Mcclure (sometimes called FOPA86) which is a federal law for transport through nonpermissive states (think the northeast).

Mags CAN be loaded. There is a MD AG written opinion on this. They don't even have to be separate from the handgun, just not IN the handgun. To avoid damaging the finish of your gun, it's usually advisable to put em somewhere they can't ding or scratch. That means outside the sleeve or case. Inside the same container is NOT illegal.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    One thing no one has mentioned yet in this thread: PA law makes a distinction between Transport vs Carry. Transport is, for example, while in your car. Loaded transport requires ANY license, for example if you have Utah or Florida, good to go. With no other license, no transport except unloaded to designated PA locations. If anything, PA transport laws are worse than MD! Without a PA license, open carry once you get out of the car. Without ANY license, leave the gun at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom