• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Theworm13

Dec 25, 2023
    Severna park
    Father in law gave me a historical handgun. We are flying into MD so looking for advice or discussion on how. I know locked gun case, checked, and declare at the counter. No ammo etc.

Any other things to do? Will register etc but currently not registered in my name etc.

Any thoughts?

Theworm13

Dec 25, 2023
    Severna park
    I don’t believe it will fall into the antique rules. 1920 Luger. Prob not old enough.
    I don’t mind jumping through the hoops. Whatever they may be. Just a bit unprepared for this. I may just take it to the local FFL and have them ship it to one in MD. And then do the hoops to pick it up. Prob a bunch of calls.

Friend says I should have no issues just declaring and putting it in a proper case. But I know MD can be problematic, and flying is even more so. Just looking for thoughts or tips.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I don’t believe it will fall into the antique rules. 1920 Luger. Prob not old enough.

It doesn't have to be an antique, only a "Curio and Relic."
    C&R is only 50 years old.

You can get a 03 Federal Firearms Licence - "Collector of Curios and Relics" for $30, and you can have eligible firearms shipped directly to you from out of state.

Last edited:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Check out the stickies in the C&R Subforum.

You have to get the application form from the ATF, fill it out, send it to the ATF with $30, send a second copy to your Chief Law Enforcement Officer (= County Sheriff, who throws it in the trash), and wait. I don't think it takes long.

They send you a big info pack, followed by your license. Keep the original, make a bunch of xerox copies. (Send copies to online retailers like Brownell et al. and they'll give you a discount.)

You can acquire eligible firearms in interstate commerce, acting as your own FFL, because you ARE an FFL. You can blow your entire retirement fund buying old guns online. You'll send a signed copy of your license to whomever you acquire the gun from, and you'll keep a record of all your acquisitions and dispositions/sales in a Bound Book. Theoretically the ATF can examine your records, but it's unlikely they will. If you don't renew your license when it expires after 3 years, you can throw your Bound Book on the trash.

10 or 20 years ago there were lots of nasty old surplus guns available online. There aren't as many now, but they're still there, many collectable old guns from dealers and individuals. The C&R license still has lots of advantages.

If you can wait a short while (maybe a couple months??????) to get your 03 FFL, that would be a VERY good way for you to go.

So tell us more about this 1920 Luger...

Theworm13

Dec 25, 2023
    Severna park
    Check out the stickies in the C&R Subforum.

You have to get the application form from the ATF, fill it out, send it to the ATF with $30, send a second copy to your Chief Law Enforcement Officer (= County Sheriff, who throws it in the trash), and wait. I don't think it takes long.

They send you a big info pack, followed by your license. Keep the original, make a bunch of xerox copies. (Send copies to online retailers like Brownell et al. and they'll give you a discount.)

You can acquire eligible firearms in interstate commerce, acting as your own FFL, because you ARE an FFL. You can blow your entire retirement fund buying old guns online. You'll send a signed copy of your license to whomever you acquire the gun from, and you'll keep a record of all your acquisitions and dispositions/sales in a Bound Book. Theoretically the ATF can examine your records, but it's unlikely they will. If you don't renew your license when it expires after 3 years, you can throw your Bound Book on the trash.

10 or 20 years ago there were lots of nasty old surplus guns available online. There aren't as many now, but they're still there, many collectable old guns from dealers and individuals. The C&R license still has lots of advantages.

If you can wait a short while (maybe a couple months??????) to get your 03 FFL, that would be a VERY good way for you to go.

So tell us more about this 1920 Luger...
    Thanks!!! Appreciate it. Will probably do this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom