• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SteveG75

Feb 25, 2013
    Escaped to gunny FL.
    Rather than clutter up the existing thread on releasing FFL's, I have a question about getting my weapon moved from one FFL to another.

I current have a evil black rifle at 52 days at an FFL who is waffling between NO release and "Change Pending". Couple of questions?

1) Can I get the weapon transferred to another FFL who is doing 8 day release? (I have a local FFL who is doing that and I would check with him first).

2) How would I go about doing that?

3) Does my clock with MSP restart with a new FFL?

Last edited:

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    1) Permission and likely a fee paid to your current FFL.
    2) Ask nicely.
    3) Yes (AFAIK). But, it will be an 8 calender day clock, not the rest of 52 out of 90+

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    The current FFL could ship it to the new one. Why the current FFL would have any right to refuse to do that and give you a refund instead after you've paid for it, I don't know.

BigToe

Well Armed Vagrant
    Why the current FFL would have any right to refuse to do that and give you a refund instead after you've paid for it, I don't know.

If you purchased it directly from the FFL, they can refuse to transfer. It is their sale. They have the option to refund. Not saying they will, but it is their option. A firearms dealer is not required to offer transfers of firearms that they sell.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    If you purchased it directly from the FFL, they can refuse to transfer. It is their sale. They have the option to refund. Not saying they will, but it is their option. A firearms dealer is not required to offer transfers of firearms that they sell.

What I believe you are talking about is some dealers won't transfer a firearm model that they sell to you it you bought it at another dealer. I assume this guy has already paid for the firearm. He owns it. There are plenty of dealers who will transfer a firearm regardless of where you bought it.

BigToe

Well Armed Vagrant
    What I believe you are talking about is some dealers won't transfer a firearm model that they sell to you it you bought it at another dealer. I assume this guy has already paid for the firearm. He owns it. There are plenty of dealers who will transfer a firearm regardless of where you bought it.

No...I'm saying that there are firearms dealers who only sell to walk ins, and do not transfer firearms. If you purchase the firearm from them, and are unsatisfied with the wait time, they, having charged you for the firearm, have the option to refund your money rather than transferring it.

A firearm dealer is not required to transfer firearms to other dealers. Just like you cannot force any brick and mortar retailer to mail products that they sell.

But as I said, the OP is better off calling the FFL dealer and finding out, rather than coming here and having people speculate.

madness3120

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 4, 2012
    Yours is in hold at All Pawn? If you do go that route let me know because I will be right behind u

FWPhoto

Jun 3, 2013
    Waldorf, MD
    Yours is in hold at All Pawn? If you do go that route let me know because I will be right behind u

I have 2 there as well. I think the first one should be coming up soon. It was purchased on 3/16 and likely faxed that Monday. If I go by that 5/31 update, she should be getting her get out of jail card soon. However, I have another one that wasn't purchased until 4/25 so I may be with you two if they don't decide to to 8th day release. I'll have to keep an eye on this one.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    An FFL who has already logged in your firearm and done paperwork on it will likely NOT give you a refund on the transfer fee. They've already completed what you paid them to do.

If you want to get it transferred to someone else, keep in mind the current FFL has to personally box it up and send it to the new FFL. So be prepared to pay a second set of shipping and handling fees on top of whatever the second FFL charges for the transfer.

If it was me I would simply wait for the item at old FFL, and use the new 8-day FFL moving forward.

SteveG75

Feb 25, 2013
    Escaped to gunny FL.
    An FFL who has already logged in your firearm and done paperwork on it will likely NOT give you a refund on the transfer fee. They've already completed what you paid them to do.

If you want to get it transferred to someone else, keep in mind the current FFL has to personally box it up and send it to the new FFL. So be prepared to pay a second set of shipping and handling fees on top of whatever the second FFL charges for the transfer.

If it was me I would simply wait for the item at old FFL, and use the new 8-day FFL moving forward.

Yeah, I think that is the way I am going to go. Just wanted to take my daughter shooting when she gets here at the end of the month. I figured on 60 days, not 90+. The 8 day thing got me excited.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If you purchased from the instore dealer stock , it depends upon the dealer's return/ refund / restock policy.

If you purchased elsewhere , it is your equity property , and they are providing a transfer service to you. But they already provided their end of the service , and won't be refunding the fee to you. And they kind of have an open ticket on the shipping and handling to send it onwards.

On the semi-related theme , If a firearm is still in dealer possesion when a Disaproved is received , then the situation is governed by the dealers refund/ restocking / disaproval / etc policy . If the firearm is already released into your possesion , it is confiscated, and you are out of your property/ investment.

Llyrin

Yankee-Rebel
    Mar 14, 2009
    Charles Co
    Bought at Big Dog in King George VA and shipped to their chosen FFL in Waldorf area.

That would definitely be All Pawn in White Plains, where a number of us are waiting to see if they will change from Solid No to something else. I bought a DPMS AR from Big Dog and am waiting like everyone else. I'm hopeful they will change status. Tomorrow, I plan to talk to Mark at Accurate Guns and Ammo about a firearm and see if he will transfer to Bob's Sunoco, since they only have an 8-day wait and Accurate is Solid No.

SteveG75

Feb 25, 2013
    Escaped to gunny FL.
    Went by Bob's Sunoco today and talked to Ed. He said they could do the transfer for $50. Biggest issue that he raised was that the MSP 77R would have to be resubmitted. That means that there would be two applications in the system for the same person for the same serial number from two different FFL's. Could be a problem. Looks like I am stuck waiting like everyone else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom