• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • atrizu

Hypnotoad
    Jan 1, 2011
    PG
    I want to sell a regulated AR lower receiver to someone I know, and this person is unsure if they will pass the background check. So what would happen in the event that he doesn't pass the check? Will the firearm be returned to me? Does it change if it's done at MSP rather than a dealer?

Also would being charged with a DUI, but having everything adjudicated and him getting a Probation Before Judgement 1 year, disqualify him?

Last edited:

ocsnapper

Nov 17, 2012
    Pittsville
    The receiver will not be transferred to the buyer until the MSP approve the application. If he is denied then you keep it and there is no sale..

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    There is a question on the form that asks if you are a Habitual Drunkard. Don't know what that actually means, but it's possible your friend could be denied.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    If I want to sell a regulated AR lower receiver to someone I know, and this person is unsure if they will pass the background check. So what would happen in the event that he doesn't pass the check? Will the firearm be returned to me? Does it change if it's done at MSP rather than a dealer?

Also would being charged with a DUI, but having everything adjudicated and him getting a Probation Before Judgement 1 year, disqualify him?

If you do the transfer at an FFL, the FFL hold the lower receiver until MSP returns the paperwork. If it comes back denied, the FFL returns the receiver to you. If the transfer is done at MSP barracks, you hold the receiver until you hear from MSP. If it comes back denied, you keep the receiver.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    MD Case Search. Although of he is prohibited and you know or suspect it IF they felt like it MSP OR ATF could hit you really hard. Not worth the risk. IMHO.

Of course I know prohibited persons who I'd have no moral issues selling a pistol FTF. Legal issues mean I won't do it but that's another battle altogether.

Phillth

May 15, 2013
    So let me get this straight. If combine the transfer on the same form the the waiting period is as follows?:

(1) lower receiver - 30 days
    (2) lower receives - 60 days
    (3) lower receivers -90 days
    And so on...

Is there a limit on the number of separate regulated firearms i can combine on a single transfer form?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    So let me get this straight. If combine the transfer on the same form the the waiting period is as follows?:

(1) lower receiver - 30 days
    (2) lower receives - 60 days
    (3) lower receivers -90 days
    And so on...

Is there a limit on the number of separate regulated firearms i can combine on a single transfer form?

Apply for Collector status and forget all of this. It's just a form. I've never known of anyone getting turned down.

Jim Smith

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    Okay... if he's under PBJ for the DUI he cannot transfer ANY firearm, including FTF, until the probation is cleared PERIOD. It's right there with the PBJ statement, I know, my best friend went through the same thing. After the PBJ has expired he's good to go. If a person is CONVICTED (not PBJ) of three, ANY alcohol related offenses, then in the state's eyes he's considered a habitual drunker, and has forfeiture his right to own a firearm per Maryland state law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Marty S.

Latest threads

Top Bottom