• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdsec

Sep 28, 2014
    Has anyone taken training at heritage in frederick?

If so how was it?

Been shooting 40 years but have never had pistol training and am looking to take a basic pistol class to satisfy the prerequistes for taking idpa and defensive handgun type classes.

Any other private training available close to moco by appointment? I have some time off this week and wanted to get started.

thanks

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Has anyone taken training at heritage in frederick?

If so how was it?

Been shooting 40 years but have never had pistol training and am looking to take a basic pistol class to satisfy the prerequistes for taking idpa and defensive handgun type classes.

Any other private training available close to moco by appointment? I have some time off this week and wanted to get started.

thanks

I believe the training at Heritage is probably good for what it is. First, you should know that Heritage does not teach NRA courses. They have developed their own curriculum, which, if you look at their website, their training is focused on "familiarization" and "introductory" levels. Second, I know two of their trainers and know that they are both strong teachers with great experience, and are very knowledgeable. In fact having them teach the Heritage curriculum is a bit like having a college math professor teach basic 1st grade addition. But students have to start somewhere, & I believe that the folks at Heritage do a really good job teaching those classes.

If you're looking for a more advanced course, check into these NRA courses: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection Inside the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, and Defensive Pistol. Basic Pistol is a prerequisite for the PPITH, PPOTH, and Defensive Pistol courses, and all have strong live-fire components. Actually, many people who have been shooting a long time would probably learn something from the NRA Basic Pistol class.

There are lots of great NRA Instructors in the area, and depending on where you're located, you will be able to find a strong instructor team nearby. If you're closer to the Frederick area, look at www.frederickiwla.org or kelkye.com. (In fact, both of the Heritage instructors I know, as ewll sa many of the insturctors & RSO's at Heritage & The Machin Gun Nest have taken courses at the Frederick IWLA.) Otherwise, you can also find upcoming courses in the state here: http://www.nrainstructors.org/search.aspx I'm sure others can give you good input on Montgomery County area instructors.

Last edited:

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    I've taken the NRA Basic Pistol twice with my wife. The more recent was at Hendershots. My son and his buddy took the course last summer at Hendershots as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom