• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    Got a flyer from JobBob's, Toolcraft BCG with nitride finish, on sale for $79. Ordered a few and they should be at the house tonight. Has anyone else purchased Toolcraft products, I would like to hear their impressions. From my reading, Toolcraft supplies many of the known "manufacturers" AR parts than than have that "manufacturer" engrave their logo/name on. I am not assembling high end tactical sniper weapons, just fun to shoot, just in case rifles.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    They are good BCG's but if you want to be SOTAR compliant you need to go phosphate.

I see them on sale all the time but I've got plenty of BCGs. If I can find someone that can get me HBAR marked barrels I'd be happy.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Agree with everyone else. Though I don't own any, I heard they are very good.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    Found a nice surprise sitting on the desk when I got home. JoeBob Outfitters delivered, The Toolcraft BCGs looks real nice. Very good fit and finish. I am a very satisfied customer of JoeBob's. Now to find the 300BO barrel to complete the build.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    This one is black nitride. I have a couple with the nickel boron finish. They are both holding up well. Is that finish known to fail?

From what I understand all other finishes have tolerance issues and the finish will go. They look pretty but both me and my guns haven't been accused of being supermodels so I'll take ugly.

For range toys it wouldn't matter IMHO. For SHTF, I'm keeping what works.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    A lot of the Toolcraft BCGs I see in that price range are 9310 steel bolts rather than C158. Just a point of knowledge as I'm not really sure that it's been established one is superior over the other, beyond one being mil-spec and the other not.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    A lot of the Toolcraft BCGs I see in that price range are 9310 steel bolts rather than C158. Just a point of knowledge as I'm not really sure that it's been established one is superior over the other, beyond one being mil-spec and the other not.

If I'm reading correctly, 9310 steel is 8% stronger than C158.

Surface hardened steel (like C158)supposedly holds up better for wear on the outside and absorb heavy shock from the inside (being softer/less brittle).

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    It's hard to gauge what's verifiable and true vs what isn't, IMO from what I've read insofar as how the metal will hold up. What I've seen time and again is that C158 is more expensive to source, 9310 is an alternative steel that's easier and cheaper to get (as far as the quantity is concerned) while also easier to heat treat.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It's hard to gauge what's verifiable and true vs what isn't, IMO from what I've read insofar as how the metal will hold up. What I've seen time and again is that C158 is more expensive to source, 9310 is an alternative steel that's easier and cheaper to get (as far as the quantity is concerned) while also easier to heat treat.

Yup. I got that purely off the interwebz(a forum actually), so take for what it's worth. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom