• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Is it too late to get paperwork in to sbr a rifle?

I don't think so. Worst case scenario is that you get a refund. Perhaps we can consider it a "purchase order". Truth is, we just don't know.

PIPES

Apr 6, 2013
    I guess it's worth putting the paper work in and hoping for the best. Do I have to wait until I get my approval for the gun to send that in or can I send it in during the 2 month wait?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I guess it's worth putting the paper work in and hoping for the best. Do I have to wait until I get my approval for the gun to send that in or can I send it in during the 2 month wait?

If you have the serial number I'd send it in now.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    If you have the serial number I'd send it in now.

+1, should make the cut-off.

Also as the date gets within the last month (Sept of 2013) if you don't have your stamp, it would be reasonable to request an expedite due to the pending change in law. The ATF has accommodated military requests in the past for PCS, I don't see how this would be much different.

Mark

dc44

Dec 26, 2012
    Why would it be too late before or after the ban?

Provided you have the host rifle prior to the ban, what difference does it make that you'll have a Form 1 filled out before or after? The host weapon is already registered with the MSP.

Because SB281 as passed lists two separate and distinct classes of banned firearms - those named and those matching a "copycat" description. An AR-15 can be grandfathered as a named model, but depending on how the law is codified and interpreted by police and the AG, building out your SBR with OAL < 29" may make it a "new" banned copycat.

The exception is for purchase orders (most conservatively interpreted to mean completed and submitted 77Rs.) A form 1 is an application to manufacture, not to purchase. There's still a lot of ambiguity to be fleshed out and I suspect most of us would prefer not to be a test case.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I'm going to try to SBR my 2 Engage lowers when they come in. Should be here in May. We will see.

DubleTap

Nov 19, 2011
    I am glad this subject was brought up. I am going to SBR one or two of my "Lower Inventory" as well. I ass-u-med that since I would have PreBan Lowers that the SBR (or a Can) would not be any different then things are now. But like they say "What the hell was I thinking". This is Maryland, there can't be any common sense applied to dealing with FireArms. So I will get paperwork in on at least 1..

And remember guys n gals, you can always build yourself an AR pistol. And in fact, that is an interesting scenario as well. I guess the smartest thing to do is build your Pistol Lower and take pictures with your "less then 16 in Uppers" and then a supporting letter with Lower Serial Number and Upper Serial Numbers (if they have them) and then have that Notarized as well. That could be a potential serious sticky wicket. And maybe a nice Video of your weapons with them sitting on a newspaper.

Another idea would be to Certify Mail yourself a document stating what potential issues you may have, such as weapons and serial numbers, unbuilt lowers etc. and then upon receipt place that letter, unopened, in a safe. Then should you ever need any form of Proof of Ownership Prior to Oct. 1 2013, that letter would be irrefutable proof that you had these items prior to 10-1-2013.

I am of the mindset that with the potential PreBan Weapon Ownership Litigation Storm that is possible, smart weapons documentation would be a very smart thing and should not be taken lightly.

Is it just me, or is the fact that being a criminal is becoming a much easier lifestyle a bit troubling ? Something just ain't right here folks! :sad20:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    It will be interesting to see what MSP does about sign-off on those who go the non-trust route. Particularly after October 1.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I was mentally speculating in terms of a factory SBR with purchase order , rather than making on a Form 1 .

Triggerscan

Shooting Ventures, LLC
    Feb 11, 2010
    Monrovia, MD
    It's all in the nomenclature

When you took possession of the lower, it was transferred on the 4473 as a "receiver" and on the 77-R as "O" for other - assault weapons in MD are "X" on page 2 of the 77-R. Currently, one can build out a legally owned receiver to be either a pistol or a long-gun (initial build determines classification for the life of the lower). But here's the rub, when you build out the lower, you "technically" are changing it's classification to either a pistol or an assault weapon (rifle). So, the MSP could say that this action is manufacturing a new pistol or long-gun and IF manufacturing of that particular type of weapon is banned, you are SOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom