• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    I had never shot past 200y until today when my coworker invited me to shoot at Peacemaker. After a few shots at 450y, I skipped straight to 940y and immedialy started ringing steel. After about 20 minutes of that my coworker and I both moved on to the 1025y target (full size IDPA silhouette) and quickly started hitting it. It was a breezy day. My hit rate was about 40% because I apparently suck at judging the wind. I am still extremely happy for my first time having to range/angle targets, calculate my dope, and make large adjustments to the turrets to get (almost) on target on the first shot.

I was shooting my AR10 chambered in 6.5CM, Vortex Viper PST 6-24x scope, factory (non-match) Sellier and Bellot 140gr FMJBT rounds that I picked up years ago for $0.85 a round and had never shot. Didn't even need any help spotting since I was able to keep the scope on target after my shot which I didn't expect given the range.

Attachments

• 20220723_112133.jpg
      20220723_112133.jpg
      426 KB · Views: 91
    • 20220723_112359.jpg
      20220723_112359.jpg
      183.3 KB · Views: 89

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I had never shot past 200y until today when my coworker invited me to shoot at Peacemaker. After a few shots at 450y, I skipped straight to 940y and immedialy started ringing steel. After about 20 minutes of that my coworker and I both moved on to the 1025y target (full size IDPA silhouette) and quickly started hitting it. It was a breezy day. My hit rate was about 40% because I apparently suck at judging the wind. I am still extremely happy for my first time having to range/angle targets, calculate my dope, and make large adjustments to the turrets to get (almost) on target on the first shot.

I was shooting my AR10 chambered in 6.5CM, Vortex Viper PST 6-24x scope, factory (non-match) Sellier and Bellot 140gr FMJBT rounds that I picked up years ago for $0.85 a round and had never shot. Didn't even need any help spotting since I was able to keep the scope on target after my shot which I didn't expect given the range.
    Very nice, congratulations. Very addictive too, I had planned to go to the Frontier Practice Day as well, but grabbed a last minute spot in a MD Wear and Carry class this weekend. That, and it was 100 degrees today (seems like every time I go to Peacemaker it’s 95-100 deg).

Best of luck next time out, much success to you.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I need to get up to Mifflin with my .50 Barrett. I've been eff'ing around too much to not to. :rolleyes: It's not that far. I just don't want to do a 1,000 yard range walk for targets. Maybe they got a golf cart up there...

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Color me in!
    You know it, Hot Fudge!

Some good deals on Sightron scopes. Have some friends with them who like them for long range shooting. https://www.midwayusa.com/s?promoti...in-image-link&utm_campaign=sightron-closeouts

If you’re building a bench rest rifle, don’t overlook high end manufacturers like Nightforce. They make great optics that are great for a range rifle but won’t stand up to the abuse they would take in the field such as sniper scope. I have a NF 12-42x on a .260 Remington. It will boringly shoot 1 hole groups at 200 yds all day long. I don’t need a spotting scope.

And that sums up all I know.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Someone post a video of that please! I'm curious about the flight time to impact. We shot it to 525 yards in my patrol rifle class one day. I shot iron sites, prone position and once I figure out the drop and windage I rang steel consistently. It was an incredible experience! The delay between the crack of the rifle and ping of the steel was pretty cool.

I had a rookie officer that I trained that was a 24 year Marine veteran, great guy. He would shoot 800 yards with his M4, standing, unsupported with iron sites. I'm not sure I could even see that far, let alone hit iron that far, let alone do it standing and unsupported!!!

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    Someone post a video of that please! I'm curious about the flight time to impact. We shot it to 525 yards in my patrol rifle class one day. I shot iron sites, prone position and once I figure out the drop and windage I rang steel consistently. It was an incredible experience! The delay between the crack of the rifle and ping of the steel was pretty cool.

I had a rookie officer that I trained that was a 24 year Marine veteran, great guy. He would shoot 800 yards with his M4, standing, unsupported with iron sites. I'm not sure I could even see that far, let alone hit iron that far, let alone do it standing and unsupported!!!

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk
    Time of flight was about 3 seconds to some of the targets. With basic earpro and other people shooting it was tough to hear impacts past 400-500 yards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom