• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -The HSc isn't as bad as I imagined. I think I'm on the same page as tallen702 concerning removing the plating and re-bluing. Agree with Biggfoot that the horse is out of the barn but from my perspective it's now more about what you prefer. I've always been partial to a dark finish.
    -May I throw another option into the mix? Go with zinc parkerizing like the late war German and post war French HSc production. I think that would look fantastic. And guess who still has his parkerizing stuff from his days of building FALs and Galils? What I don't have is my bead blast cabinet & media. Do have access to a large compressor @ work so could rig something to get by. It's a pistol, not a lot of blasting to do. The hardest part would be disassembly/assembly.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    -The HSc isn't as bad as I imagined. I think I'm on the same page as tallen702 concerning removing the plating and re-bluing. Agree with Biggfoot that the horse is out of the barn but from my perspective it's now more about what you prefer. I've always been partial to a dark finish.
    -May I throw another option into the mix? Go with zinc parkerizing like the late war German and post war French HSc production. I think that would look fantastic. And guess who still has his parkerizing stuff from his days of building FALs and Galils? What I don't have is my bead blast cabinet & media. Do have access to a large compressor @ work so could rig something to get by. It's a pistol, not a lot of blasting to do. The hardest part would be disassembly/assembly.
    Given the fact that it's a 5th variation with a fairly late SN range, the zinc park option also appeals. I *might* have access to a media blaster for the prep work, and the finishing work seems easy enough from the videos I've watched. The only question is how much time I have to actually perform this task (not much these days) or what the base cost is if I send it out versus refinishing with a matte nickel dip. Things to look into.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Rather than trusting a gun that may be compromised, I'd sell it and apply the finds to one that was in better condition.

I've scored two off GB over the last couple years, both between 4-500; one was postwar French build, the other a reworked wartime example with Norwegian police markings. Each sufficiently unusual, and both pretty rare.

I've had best luck keeping an eye on sales of guns I want; there's always a series of expensive sales, followed by a slump in buyer interest. Buy during the slump.

I agree that the pistol in question was a bargain, though. I'd take the opportunity to profit from it and improve my collection. I don't know that I'd put more time and money into it at this point; lipstick on the proverbial pig.

Jul 1, 2012
    I've scored two off GB over the last couple years, both between 4-500; one was postwar French build, the other a reworked wartime example with Norwegian police markings. Each sufficiently unusual, and both pretty rare.
    One of 372 (5001-5372) :)
    I've got # 5326, original finish (I think) and E/135 proofs, "3-line" slide.
    Tallen's has E/WaA135 on the trigger guard so pretty late-war.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom