• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    When I got the oil changed today I scored two more buckets of wheel weights to go with the three I haven't rendered from last visit. While they weren't free (some of aren't as lucky as Deep Creek Rock), they were almost free.

I guess I know what I'll be doing over the winter...:innocent0

Attachments

• DSC00228.jpg
      DSC00228.jpg
      84.1 KB · Views: 140

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Nice score, I'm jealous. Not a single shop I've tried around Essex area ever have any, most already have arrangements with scrappers.

Congrats on the score.

I know I'm speaking to experienced folks but, just in case someone new to using wheel weights is reading, I'll mention it anyway...

Make sure the weights are BONE-DRY if you plan to add them to an already hot pot. About 20 yrs ago, I added some weights to a nearly full pot, and while the weights were not visibly wet, there must have been some condensation hiding around the steel clips.

Well, the condensation flashed to steam and the resulting rapid expansion of the steam (more like an explosion) blew the entire contents of a 12 lb pot straight up and out, covering everything on the workbench. God only knows how neither my friend nor I were burned with all that molten lead flying around.

Weights sitting around in buckets should always be treated as suspect. Please make sure they are dry, dry, dry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom