• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Any experience with Tikkas? I am thinking of a T3x Lite in .223 Rem for varmint hunting. Starting to reload some heavier bullets and am having a hard time finding any dealers around Baltimore County. Any advice?

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Any experience with Tikkas? I am thinking of a T3x Lite in .223 Rem for varmint hunting. Starting to reload some heavier bullets and am having a hard time finding any dealers around Baltimore County. Any advice?
    Great rifles but buy the tikka varmint for varmint hunting, not the lite.

I've owned several t3s and all have been good. The aftermarket support is catching up. None of mine are stock anymore. Only one has a factory barrel.

I suggest talking to Brian at south carroll sporting goods an IP here. If he can't order it, call the gun shack in mount airy.

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    Love my tikka. First 3 rounds at 100yds went same hole. Put 5 rounds in a playing card at 600yds. T3X Tac A1 in 6.5cm.

Sometimes they have a free mag promotion. Mags are ungodly expensive, as high as 150 each depending on model, almost never less than 50.

Sako owns tikka and Beretta owns Sako, so genuine parts and accessories come from Beretta USA.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Great rifles, just make sure the twist wil stabilize the bullet you want to shoot. Also don’t get the lite unless you are going to be humping it up a mountain.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Also don’t get the lite unless you are going to be humping it up a mountain.
    oh yeah. my first t3 was in 300wm and that thing kicked like a friggin' mule, or maybe two. sold that and a few years later got a t3x in 300wsm. with a limbsaver and small brake (needed the barrel threaded 1/2x28), not bad at all. then later i replaced the barrel with a proof carbon, put on a big hellfire brake, and a mesa stock and pretty much zero recoil.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I am thinking of the
    Great rifles, just make sure the twist wil stabilize the bullet you want to shoot. Also don’t get the lite unless you are going to be humping it up a mountain.
    What's wrong with the lite? I like the looks of the Roughtech with fluted bolt, maybe coyote hunt someday. I don't want a heavy varmint rifle to shoot off a bench.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Love my tikka. First 3 rounds at 100yds went same hole. Put 5 rounds in a playing card at 600yds. T3X Tac A1 in 6.5cm.

Sometimes they have a free mag promotion. Mags are ungodly expensive, as high as 150 each depending on model, almost never less than 50.

Sako owns tikka and Beretta owns Sako, so genuine parts and accessories come from Beretta USA.
    I have the same rifle. It's ridiculously accurate at 500yds. It almost gets boring being that accurate. The bolt is so smooth. I need to go out to 1000yds to see how it really handles. Mine likes the Hornady 143gr ELD-X ammo. I tried handloading and the factory ammo was more consistent velocity wise. Maybe I need to get better at reloading?

Samlab

Feb 14, 2018
    Down by the riverside
    They are tremendous quality and unparalleled accuracy not matter the caliber. light means it kicks like a mule. Beretta owns the Sako/Tikka/Velmet brand still made in Finland. They are a bit nice in a lifetime purchase meaning you but it you keep it as they are that good. Worth every penny. Their Tikka Sporter Rifles are tack drivers. The hole in the reversed target is your target!

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I am thinking of the

What's wrong with the lite? I like the looks of the Roughtech with fluted bolt, maybe coyote hunt someday. I don't want a heavy varmint rifle to shoot off a bench.
    If you just want a good hunting rifle the lite might suit you, but the barrel will heat up if you are doing any more than a few at a time. .223 if your aren’t pushing its limits probably less so than bigger cartridges. If I was t going to have to carry it long distances I’d go a little heavier so I could also shoot it off the bench more as well. It’s such an awesome rifle you might want to shoot it more than just hunting trips. Either way they are great rifles and you will most likely enjoy it either way.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Are there any shops around here which keep a decent stock of Tikka rifles on hand?

Female friend of mine (not my wife) has it in her mind for a .308 Tikka or Remington 700. Why those I have no idea but I told her I'd try finding a place that keeps one or bother brands regularly stocked

rtse4me

Apr 12, 2013
    Howard County
    I have a Tikka T3 lite in 223 that I bought years ago....shot good. A couple years ago I started upgrading it.
    I found a Proof prefit on sale and then found CTR bottom metal for $50, finally a GRS stock.
    Haven't tried it yet.

Attachments

• tikka223.jpg
      tikka223.jpg
      151.2 KB · Views: 64

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    just fyi, if you know you're going to customize a tikka, consider buying just one of their actions. then you can add a stock and something like a proof shouldered prefit barrel. saves you a couple hundred over buying the whole tikka and tossing the barrel and stock. i just bought a tikka action at jaoutdoors.com for my next 'build.' plan b is finding a used tikka at a decent price (yeah, right...).

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    just fyi, if you know you're going to customize a tikka, consider buying just one of their actions. then you can add a stock and something like a proof shouldered prefit barrel. saves you a couple hundred over buying the whole tikka and tossing the barrel and stock. i just bought a tikka action at jaoutdoors.com for my next 'build.' plan b is finding a used tikka at a decent price (yeah, right...).
    Haha. Used tikkas aren't super common.

FakeID

Aug 5, 2022
    AACo Maryland
    I am thinking of the

Ive also been looking at the t3x roughtech to replace my current hunting rifle- came here hoping to get some insight so i was glad to find this post.
    IMO its a nice looking rifle with many positive reviews. (admittedly id like to see some more critiques) One of my concerns is the grip angle/stock drop looks different than the old 50s or 60s Rem 760 rifle ive been using. Id also prefer a flat bottom to the stock forend. Last but not least im also having a hard time deciding if I want another 30-06 or to finally get a .308. I only shoot factory ammo but a 20" 30-06 seems nice for the woods and easier to swing through the woods if i suppress the rifle.
    All i can say for sure is Tikka is on my list after handling a friends new rifle- they are extremely light, well balanced, and shot right on target for me.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Ive also been looking at the t3x roughtech to replace my current hunting rifle- came here hoping to get some insight so i was glad to find this post.
    IMO its a nice looking rifle with many positive reviews. (admittedly id like to see some more critiques) One of my concerns is the grip angle/stock drop looks different than the old 50s or 60s Rem 760 rifle ive been using. Id also prefer a flat bottom to the stock forend. Last but not least im also having a hard time deciding if I want another 30-06 or to finally get a .308. I only shoot factory ammo but a 20" 30-06 seems nice for the woods and easier to swing through the woods if i suppress the rifle.
    All i can say for sure is Tikka is on my list after handling a friends new rifle- they are extremely light, well balanced, and shot right on target for me.
    I don't know what your priceline is, but the new Winchester Model 70s are something to look at if you are thinking 30-06 of 308. Featherweights are good as well as the Supergrade. They just don't make them in .223 Rem or I would buy one.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    If you’re ever down to OC, Larry’s Trading Post just off Rt50 had several Tikka rifles, heck they had a lot of everything. Gonna be my new “Beach” hangout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom