• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    I honestly don't get it.
    I shoot in lever action silhouette matches. My main centerfire rifle and caliber is an 1873 Uberti in 44WCF. For the rifle caliber game out to 200 meters I use a 220gr 30-1 alloy bullet, DGL black powder lube ,CCI#300 primers and 37gr of Swiss 2F. For the pistol caliber match out to 100 meters I use the same bullet and primer but 27gr of Swiss 1.5F and a card wad. I have fired over 150 rounds in a day without cleaning or loss of accuracy. At the end of the day the bore looks like a fouling shot was fired.
    Cleanup ? I put the rifle in a cradle upside down. A wet brush for a few strokes, a couple of dry patches and done. I Usually clean the rifle that day after a match. After 20 years of doing this the bore is pristine.
    The brass is a little more work, a little. The brass goes in a mayonnaise jar and gets filled with "moose milk"*. The nest day I rinse with hot water and lay out to dry. Then it is treated like any other brass case.
    Easy, fun, accurate and powerful.

*moose milk is about one finger of Ballistol and then water filling a gallon jug.

That's all good and fine...but I use no special lubes, no special alloys, and no need for a card...and can also shoot all day with 1-2 patches as cleanup. So, simply put, APP is simpler to load and has more margin for error. Shoot what works and what you like, what is there not to get?

DAVIDMAGNUM

Oct 19, 2007
    Federalsburg
    The card wad is for a reduced load. A full power 44wcf load is unnecessary for pistol caliber silhouette targets.

The alloy has nothing to do with black powder. Matching the alloy to the pressure is the same in smokeless powder. Also "hard cast" bullets bounce off of steel targets more that a binary alloy like 30-1 or 40-1. Knocking over a 65lb 200 meter ram is easier with slow soft bullets compared to hard fast bullets. On damp, humid. misty days with no air moving the smoke just "hangs". On the rare day like this I use a smokeless load consisting of a case full of Reloder 7 and the same alloy bullet as this is still a low pressure load.

What I don't get is the desire to search for and develop something that is not needed. Black powder is not the dirty voo-doo that rusts firearms that many believe. It has worked well for hundreds of years.

Shoot what you like and enjoy it. Not everyone likes the same shooting sports, listens to the same music, drinks the same bier.......

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I honestly don't get it.
    I shoot in lever action silhouette matches. My main centerfire rifle and caliber is an 1873 Uberti in 44WCF. For the rifle caliber game out to 200 meters I use a 220gr 30-1 alloy bullet, DGL black powder lube ,CCI#300 primers and 37gr of Swiss 2F. For the pistol caliber match out to 100 meters I use the same bullet and primer but 27gr of Swiss 1.5F and a card wad. I have fired over 150 rounds in a day without cleaning or loss of accuracy. At the end of the day the bore looks like a fouling shot was fired.
    Cleanup ? I put the rifle in a cradle upside down. A wet brush for a few strokes, a couple of dry patches and done. I Usually clean the rifle that day after a match. After 20 years of doing this the bore is pristine.
    The brass is a little more work, a little. The brass goes in a mayonnaise jar and gets filled with "moose milk"*. The nest day I rinse with hot water and lay out to dry. Then it is treated like any other brass case.
    Easy, fun, accurate and powerful.

*moose milk is about one finger of Ballistol and then water filling a gallon jug.
    I know what you do over there to the club with those cartridge rifles.
    Thanks for posting/sharing your knowledge.
    I think the op likes it becuase he can stock it easier and he wants to sell it from his shop/build clientele.
    WHats not to get is its too flat round here, see you at the animal cracker shoot tommorow.
    No training wheels from this old boy-plenty of misses, fun for sure.
    Hope to see you there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom