This little old beauty strolled through the shop...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    Had this beaut of a 1928-made Steyr 1908 tip-down in .32 stroll in, yesterday. Can't say I've ever seen one in person, prior...but it's gorgeous. Anyone ever own/shoot one of these? Also....talk me out of keeping it.

1670778775262.png

Last edited:

md77

Aug 17, 2022
    MoCo
    That's really cool. I have no use for it, but think back to all the cool pieces I have passed on and wish I had not. I would keep it just for that reason. In a few years it will be worth a much or more so pretend it's an investment.

2flhun

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    Mont Co
    Keep it. You will like it and have fun with it.

I have had the itch for .22short, .22lr, .25acp and .32acp pistols.

Since I am a dumbash and have not become a designated collector, I only see these pistols AFTER I buy something else and have to wait in purgatory for 30 days.

The Saint

BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    Interesting looking piece. For its era, nice conditions.

Is there ammo available for that.

.32ACP is never going away, so yes. It's not as cheap as it was pre-pandemic....but even at $30-35 a box it's still around...and 100% cost effective to reload for now more than ever.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Interesting but personally I don't care for the lines compared to a Colt hammerless or Ortgies or Savage 32's. Those are more svelte and, for lack of a better term "art deco"; in my opinion anyhow.

If you like it, buy it!

Combloc or some of the other C&R guru's may have some input.

Jul 1, 2012
    You might have done a little better than you thought...
    it's outside my wheelhouse but this looks like a 1908/34, which had a heavier slide and a lanyard ring...
    it was issued to the Austrian po-po in the mid-30's (and absorbed by Zee Nahtzees).

One from Legacy a while back:

Check out the ones on Scotty's site for reference, especially proof-marks and any unit markings on the grip frame.
    It looks like it might have the Austrian police proof on the left side there.
    1670778775262.png

Jul 1, 2012
    Interesting but personally I don't care for the lines compared to a Colt hammerless or Ortgies or Savage 32's. Those are more svelte and, for lack of a better term "art deco"; in my opinion anyhow.

If you like it, buy it!

Combloc or some of the other C&R guru's may have some input.
    It's more like a FN Browning 1900; it's actually pretty slim but goofy -looking because the barrel is the lower "tube" and the upper has the recoil spring. At least it has a slanted grip vs. the 1900's skinny straight grip :)

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I have said that if I were wealthy enough to waste spend money on a bunch of useless guns and not feel guilty about it, then I would collect interesting old .32 pistols.

I'd start with the FN/Browning 1899 or 1900, then go different directions. One direction is a collection of "upside down" pistols like this one, with the barrel below the recoil spring.

So I like it.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Lots of really cute pistols in 32ACP; the old Remington 51, Franz Stock, Mauser 1934 and HSC, FN 1910, Sauer 38h, Savage 1907, CZ 27 & 50, Walther PP/PPK and the lovely Colt 1903. A lot of these guns were made in both 32 and 380. They're often mechanically interesting.

IF I had a bit more faith in the cartridge I'd carry a PPK.

The Saint

BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    You might have done a little better than you thought...
    it's outside my wheelhouse but this looks like a 1908/34, which had a heavier slide and a lanyard ring...
    it was issued to the Austrian po-po in the mid-30's (and absorbed by Zee Nahtzees).

One from Legacy a while back:

Check out the ones on Scotty's site for reference, especially proof-marks and any unit markings on the grip frame.
    It looks like it might have the Austrian police proof on the left side there.
    View attachment 391788

It IS one with the backstrap police marked and proofed. I only wish it had certain german markings on it...then it would be a ~$2K-2500 gun haha.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    If you want to get talked out of it, just remember you probably can’t put a weapon light on it. And I bet nobody carries the mag extensions for the pinky grip anymore.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I have a big soft spot for ugly, early autoloaders. Frommer Stop, Schwarzlose 1908, Steyr-Pieper 1908, Dreyse 1907, etc. etc.
    The need to circumvent Browning's patents to be commercially successful at a time when FN held all the cards with licensing really promoted a lot of innovation and creativity that we don't see as much today. If I were you, OP, I'd hold onto it.

The Saint

BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    I have a big soft spot for ugly, early autoloaders. Frommer Stop, Schwarzlose 1908, Steyr-Pieper 1908, Dreyse 1907, etc. etc.
    The need to circumvent Browning's patents to be commercially successful at a time when FN held all the cards with licensing really promoted a lot of innovation and creativity that we don't see as much today. If I were you, OP, I'd hold onto it.

I, too, love the early autoloaders....I have a Dreyse light carbine (basically a Dreyse 1907 in rifle form) which I'll never get rid of. I only have so much room though haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom