• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I wonder if there's any relationship between "Deutsche Waffen" and the slang name, "douche waffle"? I can well imagine an American GI turning the German factory name into a derogatory English term that he could understand.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I don't think the expression is that old.

I'd be curious as to the approximate time of its introduction into the language.

Peartree

May 25, 2013
    Mt Airy
    Ever wonder why everyone refers to Independence Day just as the 4th of July? We don't call Thanksgivg Nov 28th, nor do we call Labor Day, Sep 2nd. We refer to most of the other holidays with their names also. So why don't we call the 4th Independence Day? In these times, maybe we should look at this special day and give it's due and call if for what it representes, our Independence Day!

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Ever wonder why everyone refers to Independence Day just as the 4th of July? We don't call Thanksgivg Nov 28th, nor do we call Labor Day, Sep 2nd. We refer to most of the other holidays with their names also. So why don't we call the 4th Independence Day? In these times, maybe we should look at this special day and give it's due and call if for what it representes, our Independence Day!

Agree, see my post called "Special Holiday Wish" in the Water Cooler. Posted it 3-4 days ago,no comments. It was to address exactly what you've mentioned......

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo

Ummmm,,, Thanksgiving, memorial, Easter Sunday, Labor day will change dates most every year.

I think I use 4th of July because it's easier to say. "The 4th" or "July 4th" and everyone I say it to knows what I mean.

I agree that using "Independance day" is a better way to say it. Darn, there I go again, another reason is I can spell July 4th better than Independence day. I don't dance on the 4th.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I don't think the expression is that old.

I'd be curious as to the approximate time of its introduction into the language.

Not as old in the way that we currently use it, to be sure, but language is flexible and meanings change, get hijacked, etc.

I remember that in the '60s and '70s the slogan, "Keep on truckin'" was not only a popular phrase, but it was also associated with "Mr. Natural," hippies, and the underground culture in general. It was only many years later that I read some first-hand WWI materials that showed the expression came out of WWI, and referred to the need to keep horse-drawn artillery and supplies moving (pulled wheeled vehicles were generally known as "trucks" in the horse-drawn days--where we got the term 'truck farm' for produce farms--then the term became applied to motorized vehicles designed to carry heavy loads).

reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel Province, DPRM
    Would a douche waffle be categorized as a German weapon? I know the Germans are into some kinky stuff, but I don't know.

I read that and this image filled my head for some reason...

tumblr_lsm49u1KCQ1r16we7o1_500.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom