• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I've read that tobacco use spoils the flavor of long pig. Check the pockets before filleting.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    What distance is "short range"?
    These 160 resolution monoculars are not going to let you see rabbits at five hundred yards. You'll probably be able to tell that something is out there at 100-200 yards, especially if it's person-sized. There's no free lunches with thermal; if you want high performance, you're going to pay for it. On the plus side, if you're searching for someone or some animal, that's probably enough to do some decent work in a pinch.

I looked at the TRF, but decided that the FOV was inadequate for scanning, and there didn't seem to be a lot of point in range-finding stuff within 100 yards unless you're bow-hunting.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    These 160 resolution monoculars are not going to let you see rabbits at five hundred yards. You'll probably be able to tell that something is out there at 100-200 yards, especially if it's person-sized. There's no free lunches with thermal; if you want high performance, you're going to pay for it. On the plus side, if you're searching for someone or some animal, that's probably enough to do some decent work in a pinch.

I looked at the TRF, but decided that the FOV was inadequate for scanning, and there didn't seem to be a lot of point in range-finding stuff within 100 yards unless you're bow-hunting.
    For what you pay, it’s worth it, IMO.

My PVS-14 gets me through the woods at night well. Thermal lights up targets.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I'm thinking coyotes around 150. I doubt they will be any closer unless being attracted to the distressed rabbit caller. From what I've read, just about all predators are suckers for the poor bunny.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I’d trash the cheeks. Probably tough from all the flapping. Plus the marinades of bullchit and lies you mentioned.
    Definitely trash kamalas cheeks. Permanently flavored by all the tonsil butter she consumed.

I need to find and post my copy of Corpse Recipe.
    I'm thinking coyotes around 150. I doubt they will be any closer unless being attracted to the distressed rabbit caller. From what I've read, just about all predators are suckers for the poor bunny.
    Cats aren't.
    Bobcats are some sneaky shits.

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    Garand Thumb did a good video on preparing for urban combat. He said something that stuck in my head. The gist was that if you don’t have thermal, you are going to be killed by someone who has thermal.

Having recently acquired a good PVS-14 and a thermal optic, I would have to agree. Thermal appears to have a huge advantage in a lot of respects.

Here’s the video.

We intentionally wanted the upper hand...

Lanceman_1

Jul 14, 2011
    When I talked to them on Friday, they said it was shipping Tuesday or Wednesday of this week. A little slow, but not such a big deal.
    I ordered mine on 11/29. I sent an email yesterday and have not received word. I will wait till Friday and if I don't get a response I will give them a jingle.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Anyone get one of these yet?
    Love the picture of the thermal mounted on a crossbow,,,,
    "Tell me your poaching, without telling me your poaching"

But they do look nice if they work out to 100 yards just to scan the homestead to see if any feds are sneaking up in the dark,,
    I'll be waiting on your alls reviews

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    In case anyone's interested, mine finally shipped today. Supposedly coming tomorrow, but a little skeptical about that.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Anyone get one of these yet?
    Yes
    In case anyone's interested, mine finally shipped today. Supposedly coming tomorrow, but a little skeptical about that.
    Their communication is lacking but one came in today.

Ill try it later tonight outdoors.

Was hard to get dog to sit still and get a screen grab
    1000005455.jpg

Attachments

• 20231208_133127.jpg
      20231208_133127.jpg
      232.9 KB · Views: 32

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Got mine today. Only got to mess with it for a few min but pretty cool for the cost. At about 80 yards up the driveway I could still make out most things. It doesn't appear to look through windows well. Had to go outside because all I kept seeing looking through the window was a black screen.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Got mine today. Only got to mess with it for a few min but pretty cool for the cost. At about 80 yards up the driveway I could still make out most things. It doesn't appear to look through windows well. Had to go outside because all I kept seeing looking through the window was a black screen.
    Thermal cannot see through windows. The glass blocks the heat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kdsadie

Latest threads

Top Bottom