The pig report. What Role Do Hunters Play in the Fight Against Feral Swine?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remrug

Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Oh, I must learn this.
    I have skinned at least 100 squirrels cut across the back.Was the only way I knew. A friend showed me the tail method.I skinned about 10 that way so far and I will never do it any another way unless someone shows me an even better way.

Brickman301

Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I have skinned at least 100 squirrels cut across the back.Was the only way I knew. A friend showed me the tail method.I skinned about 10 that way so far and I will never do it any another way unless someone shows me an even better way.
    your way is fast, but I found this to be even easier, and quicker

lazarus

Jun 23, 2015
    Squirrels are a bitch to skin. They have very little fat. Squirrels also eat primarily nuts, and their meat is rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, so while low fat, the fat in squirrel is beneficial. We do one of a couple of things. Brunswick Stew, which in its original form should be made with squirrel. Squirrel pot pie, a family favorite, or if they skin nicely, BBQ squirrel. Cook like chicken on the grill.

Good options. I've only had squirrel a couple of times. I just haven't gotten around to doing much squirrel hunting and I've usually only been taking them out one at a time on rare occasions when they get way too over-populated on my property and I get nuisance squirrels that are damaging things. I like the taste. Yup, a pain to skin. I need to get better at it. That said, a couple of squirrel legs thrown on a cast iron skillet with some olive oil, salt and rosemary for a couple of minutes makes good "drum sticks". A half dozen squirrel drum sticks cooked up like that, some sweet corn bread and a couple of beers would be a mighty fine meal on an early fall evening.

Cook the rest of the squirrels for squirrel noodle soup (rather than chicken noodle) picking the meat off the bones.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Good options. I've only had squirrel a couple of times. I just haven't gotten around to doing much squirrel hunting and I've usually only been taking them out one at a time on rare occasions when they get way too over-populated on my property and I get nuisance squirrels that are damaging things. I like the taste. Yup, a pain to skin. I need to get better at it. That said, a couple of squirrel legs thrown on a cast iron skillet with some olive oil, salt and rosemary for a couple of minutes makes good "drum sticks". A half dozen squirrel drum sticks cooked up like that, some sweet corn bread and a couple of beers would be a mighty fine meal on an early fall evening.

Cook the rest of the squirrels for squirrel noodle soup (rather than chicken noodle) picking the meat off the bones.
    Delicious. We also do Brunswick stew. Traditionally made with squirrels.

Archeryrob

Sir meat stuffer
    Mar 7, 2013
    Fairplay, MD
    We always did pot pie and the family never did the Brunswick, although it sounds better, IMO.

The only time I had squirrel and didn't like it was I tossed some in smoking duck breast. 200 for hours. Duck was a nice medium doneness and the squirrels we an awful mushy texture. No one would eat them except the dogs. Resolved to always boil them after that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scorpionking0102

Latest threads

Top Bottom