The other military issue High Standard S-101...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -I promised a surprise in my earlier High Standard US S-101 thread and here it is. A very rare USMC Property marked S-101. I live and die by a good reference work and for this pistol and others it's U.S. Military Match and Marksmanship Automatic Pistols by Bill Jenkins. In the S-101 section there are a couple USMC examples but both sport much higher SNs, closer to the end of the S-101 production run in 1957. Ditto for the only Marine marked S-101s I was able to find that sold online (Collectors Firearms currently is listing one for sale). My example has the lowest SN of a USMC issue S-101 I've seen and was built in 1954.
    -It also has a slightly different finish in that the sides of the receiver are high polish blue, not a matt finish. This one is also unique in that the USMC marks are on the left side of the receiver while all others are marked on the right side.
    -Other than a couple of nicks in the left grip base it's pristine. There's zero edge wear and the bore is pristine. Doesn't get any better than this. This takes the sting of losing out recently for the umpteenth time chasing a US marked Colt Woodsman MT.

Attachments

• IMGP0268.JPG
      IMGP0268.JPG
      167.6 KB · Views: 52
    • IMGP0269.JPG
      IMGP0269.JPG
      187.2 KB · Views: 51
    • IMGP0270.JPG
      IMGP0270.JPG
      174.3 KB · Views: 50
    • IMGP0271.JPG
      IMGP0271.JPG
      185.2 KB · Views: 51
    • IMGP0272.JPG
      IMGP0272.JPG
      228.3 KB · Views: 52
    • IMGP0273.JPG
      IMGP0273.JPG
      192.2 KB · Views: 49
    • IMGP0274.JPG
      IMGP0274.JPG
      119.5 KB · Views: 48

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    You contribute more firearms knowledge to us with one new thread than I do in six months of posts.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I'm not much of a Curio and Relic kinda guy. But, I have to say, I truly enjoy your posts. The amount of research you must put into a purchase is incredible.

What would the Marines be using these for? Pistol teams or training?

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I'm not much of a Curio and Relic kinda guy. But, I have to say, I truly enjoy your posts. The amount of research you must put into a purchase is incredible.

What would the Marines be using these for? Pistol teams or training?
    Both actually. The military shooting teams of this period did very well using the High Standard family of target pistols. Capt. Bill McMillan used the next model, the 102, to capture the only Olympic gold medal by an American in the 1960 Rome games. His pistol is on display in the NRA Museum, shown below...
    1707321123202.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom