• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Study? Load sierra or Nosler 175s to mag length over 42 gr of imr4064 or 41 gr of 8208xbr. Use any large rifle primer that's been stored right.

Or, since it's a pss with a long 12 twist, run 45.5 varget under sierra 155 Palma (#2156) in lapua cases. For winchester brass, probably want to be 46-46.5gr. 47 gr imr4064 or 46gr n140 will also work. The 2156 can be more length sensitive so measure carefully and try to keep them within .020 of lands. My bisley reamed krieger likes .015-.020. original sako barrel shot best at or in lands. My 30" 13 twist liked .020 so I'm guessing the sako bbl was probably a sloppier throat.
    Do you have a secret load for 6.5 Skinny Jeans/6.5 Man Bun/6.5 Local IPA?
    I had a great load for El Cheapo (TC Compass), but my Bergara BMP doesn't really like it as much.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Do you have a secret load for 6.5 Skinny Jeans/6.5 Man Bun/6.5 Local IPA?
    I had a great load for El Cheapo (TC Compass), but my Bergara BMP doesn't really like it as much.
    I don't own a man bun rig. I run OG 260!

I have done workups on a couple but not nearly the cross sectional experience as I've had with 308.

The 130 berger is the sex in most 260/6.5manbun/6.5x47/6.5rsaum bbls. Seems to shoot jumped almost any amount. One of the other instructors tested it from contact to .100 out and it worked acceptably the whole way with several sweet spots.

Most people use some flavor of the 140 pill, h4350 mojo load because they want the higher bc. If your bbl likes them, the 140 rdfs run pretty close to published BC in my 260 hunting rifle. I'm not posting how, but I drove 130 bergers to 3000fps and 100 noslers to 3417fps (3 shots with extreme spreads of 4fps) in that rifle. I like the 130 hot rod load better for soft tissue than the 140.

Pinged one of our guys:
    44gr RL17 under berger 130 (my notes-this is hot as snot so work up SLOW and never use this in the summer or leave the ammo in the sun)
    43.5 RL19 under berger 130 (much slower, even in long barrels, but much more civilized and temp stable)

40gr h4350 +/- .5 seems to be pretty sweet for most 140s according to my buddy. Jump may need tuning, depends on the bullet. I would add, though I have no data to contribute, that a 140 in the sleazemoor should be just about perfect for ramshot hunter and that h414 should do well too.

I don't own a man bun rig. I run OG 260!

I have done workups on a couple but not nearly the cross sectional experience as I've had with 308.

The 130 berger is the sex in most 260/6.5manbun/6.5x47/6.5rsaum bbls. Seems to shoot jumped almost any amount. One of the other instructors tested it from contact to .100 out and it worked acceptably the whole way with several sweet spots.

Most people use some flavor of the 140 pill, h4350 mojo load because they want the higher bc. If your bbl likes them, the 140 rdfs run pretty close to published BC in my 260 hunting rifle. I'm not posting how, but I drove 130 bergers to 3000fps and 100 noslers to 3417fps (3 shots with extreme spreads of 4fps) in that rifle. I like the 130 hot rod load better for soft tissue than the 140.

Pinged one of our guys:
    44gr RL17 under berger 130 (my notes-this is hot as snot so work up SLOW and never use this in the summer or leave the ammo in the sun)
    43.5 RL19 under berger 130 (much slower, even in long barrels, but much more civilized and temp stable)

40gr h4350 +/- .5 seems to be pretty sweet for most 140s according to my buddy. Jump may need tuning, depends on the bullet. I would add, though I have no data to contribute, that a 140 in the sleazemoor should be just about perfect for ramshot hunter and that h414 should do well too.
    El Cheapo really liked: Hornady Brass, 42.0gr H4350, 140gr ELD-M, CCI LRP, 2.81" @ ~2800fps.
    The Bergara needs some work. Either I haven't found the Bergara's "magical load" yet, or the TC Compass with a Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40 is a better rifle than a Bergara MBP with a Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP.
    (For the haters, the TC Compass in 6.5 Creedmoor is stupid accurate and were had for <$300 at one point)

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    The compass rifles were a great buy for people who wanted a shooter hunting rifle at a crazy cheap price. I'm a snob for how the action of my rifle feels but I can't argue with the results I saw out of those things on paper.

Some folks with bergaras have had some minor tuning issues. They seem to have the bolt problems resolved. One guy has one in 308 and it's a hammer....but he did say it took a while to find it's load.

tundramuscle03

Beer Jockey
    Mar 19, 2007
    Dundalk Noob
    I've been digging around online trying to figure out what's what with glass. Well, actually, I've figured it out - anything less than about a grand, there's some kind of compromise - the question becomes one of how much the compromise is, and whether or not it would be lost on someone like me.

I highlighted the Vortex Viper PST - those seem to be pretty highly regarded. Because I've already thrown so much money at this build, and I'm not positive that I'd be able to notice the difference or even make use of it, I'm leaning pretty heavily towards one of these two scopes:

Vortex Venom 5-25x56 (I can get this on GovX for $469 - not sure where else it would be cheaper)
    Athlon Helos 6-24x56 (I can find this one for just a touch north of $500)

The question then becomes one of what I want vs what compromises there might be. Given that the ranges I'm planning to shoot are mostly inside of 300 yards, I think either one would be a solid choice.

I'm leaning towards the Vortex - I'm not positive I'd need the illumination, and although it doesn't have locking turrets, it does have a zero-stop ring to allow a quick reset to zero.

Any thoughts?
    I've actually looked at the Venom myself and it looks pretty solid...I would definitely use GovX for the price, I used to have access to Expertvoice, which is basically the same as GovX, but more for retail stores, when I worked part-time at BassPro...

Given your distances, I'd say both are a solid choice, but like you, I'd be leaning towards Vortex myself...having the illumination is kinda like the old argument of "better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it"...I had taken my PRS rifle hunting 2 years ago for shits and giggles because I was going to be hunting a farm for the first time, so it was more of an open area, the illumination was nice to see in some of the lower light times, but didn't use it when i took the shots...

Locking turrets are nice, but having a zero stop is really nice, especially if you think/know you're going to be adjusting your turret while you're shooting...

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    I've been digging around online trying to figure out what's what with glass. Well, actually, I've figured it out - anything less than about a grand, there's some kind of compromise - the question becomes one of how much the compromise is, and whether or not it would be lost on someone like me.

I highlighted the Vortex Viper PST - those seem to be pretty highly regarded. Because I've already thrown so much money at this build, and I'm not positive that I'd be able to notice the difference or even make use of it, I'm leaning pretty heavily towards one of these two scopes:

Vortex Venom 5-25x56 (I can get this on GovX for $469 - not sure where else it would be cheaper)
    Athlon Helos 6-24x56 (I can find this one for just a touch north of $500)

The question then becomes one of what I want vs what compromises there might be. Given that the ranges I'm planning to shoot are mostly inside of 300 yards, I think either one would be a solid choice.

I'm leaning towards the Vortex - I'm not positive I'd need the illumination, and although it doesn't have locking turrets, it does have a zero-stop ring to allow a quick reset to zero.

Any thoughts?
    Take a look at the arken line up at the price point. I have only heard that they hit way above their price point.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Take a look at the arken line up at the price point. I have only heard that they hit way above their price point.
    I ended up ordering the newest iteration of the Arken lineup - the EP5 5-25x56. Supposedly this scope is sporting very good Japanese glass. I ordered about 2 weeks ago and the website said there was a 4-6 week lead time, so I thought about changing my order to the SH4 4-24x50, which are in stock. When I inquired about it, the indication to me was that they are over the hump on supply vs demand, and I should be getting my scope in a few weeks, so I'm going to hold out unless it seems like I may not get my scope in time for a trip where I'm planning to use this rifle in late July.

Anyway, this is my current build - I'm still waiting on magazines, and this scope is only on there until the Arken comes in. This is an inexpensive Cabelas brand AR scope, that actually isn't terrible.

The next thing is wading through options for a bipod. I know that Harris and Atlas are the rage, but for how this rifle is going to be used, I'll likely put an inexpensive clone of one or the other on it, although I may spend the dough for a spigot mount. Or not. The simplest, cheapest option would be a Harris clone attached to the sling swivel.
    2D09C153-42C1-4D85-90B1-96E011EAA593.jpeg

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    The next thing is wading through options for a bipod. I know that Harris and Atlas are the rage, but for how this rifle is going to be used, I'll likely put an inexpensive clone of one or the other on it, although I may spend the dough for a spigot mount. Or not. The simplest, cheapest option would be a Harris clone attached to the sling swivel. View attachment 367140
    I would at a minimum do a magpul bipod but would recommend spending the money on an atlas. Having the panning feature is likely a good idea for hunting. I would not do a knock off harris as I have had them break on me.

If you want to really save money, you could also try just using a pack as a front support.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I would at a minimum do a magpul bipod but would recommend spending the money on an atlas. Having the panning feature is likely a good idea for hunting. I would not do a knock off harris as I have had them break on me.

If you want to really save money, you could also try just using a pack as a front support.
    From what I've seen on the Harris knock-offs, they seem to be a pretty solid value. I've seen a bunch of reviews where people talk about their knock-offs vs the genuine Harris, and the consensus seems to be that they are pretty decent, and even if one breaks, you can buy 3-5 of them for the cost of a single Harris.

This rifle will never be anything other than a range gun, or varmint rifle - I'm not going to live or die based on a bipod performance, although I do agree that pivot and tilt are two things that I would like to have.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Check out the Magpul. I've been a die hard Harris guy (I can't justify an Atlas for my lame purposes), but I tried a Magpul for my AR308. It's really nice.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    I actually had the knock off harris on my 223 and a weld came apart. After that, I bought a harris and was amazed at how much nicer it was. Still have the Harris S model.

I would probably still go the magpul bipod then to get the panning and tilt in your shoes. I would just try and wait for a sale or get it used for like 75 to 80. For that price its really hard to beat.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Harris is $100. Magpul is adequate at best. A stud mount is so easy to swap. Spend a little and get something that you can have confidence in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom