• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    There's a guy who is the founder a large firearms-related company. He writes preparedness articles for his companies newsletters and elsewhere. He has some good information about some aspects of preparedness, others, not so much. One thing he's written about multiple times is radio transceivers. His advise has always been to buy used amateur radio High Frequency (HF) and to not pay attention to other writers of the same genre who say to buy handheld VHF/UHF transceivers. His rationale is that you can communicate to loved ones over long distances with the HF transceivers but with the handhelds you can't so everyone else's opinion is garbage.

That is horrible advice. I don’t know the author you are referencing, but from your description he sounds like a classic survivalist grifter.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    That is horrible advice. I don’t know the author you are referencing, but from your description he sounds like a classic survivalist grifter.
    I wouldn't go so far as to call him a grifter because I never saw him try to sell anything survival related. Some of his advice is decent but some is outright bad and unfortunately if you offer constructive criticism he offers only rude comments in return. If anything he is the victim of grifters because he posted some predictions of end of the world and blue helmets taking over the US.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    There's a guy who is the founder a large firearms-related company. He writes preparedness articles for his companies newsletters and elsewhere. He has some good information about some aspects of preparedness, others, not so much. One thing he's written about multiple times is radio transceivers. His advise has always been to buy used amateur radio High Frequency (HF) and to not pay attention to other writers of the same genre who say to buy handheld VHF/UHF transceivers. His rationale is that you can communicate to loved ones over long distances with the HF transceivers but with the handhelds you can't so everyone else's opinion is garbage.

Every time I read this I think of advise I've read since the 70's about having a community of like minded individuals. A lot of people talk about buying "seed banks" for instance but how are you going to raise food during TEOTWAWKI by yourself, or even with a small family and keep an eye on it 24/7? And how are you going have lookouts call for help in the event of looters or other trouble? And that's just one example. You may have to go a good distance for water, for firewood. The list goes on...
    Bells, whistles, smoke, clickers, homing pigeons, light signals, flags, semaphor…the list goes on.

Think old school…it helps.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Advice is mostly worth what you pay for it.
    Prepper advice is often like the sphincter…everybody got one.
    As one pores through what this person thinks or what that person thinks, one has to consider who offered it, why they offered it and whether or not it makes ANY sense for you and your situation. Often, there lots of chaff and not much grain. If this shit was simple or easy or universal, it wouldn’t be so hard and everybody would be good at it.

Survival has been pretty easy for almost the last hundred years. When it gets harder, then folks who’ve given it thought and banged out a personal plan, will have a leg up on surviving.

Semper Paratus, eh?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Advice is mostly worth what you pay for it.
    Prepper advice is often like the sphincter…everybody got one.
    As one pores through what this person thinks or what that person thinks, one has to consider who offered it, why they offered it and whether or not it makes ANY sense for you and your situation. Often, there lots of chaff and not much grain. If this shit was simple or easy or universal, it wouldn’t be so hard and everybody would be good at it.

Survival has been pretty easy for almost the last hundred years. When it gets harder, then folks who’ve given it thought and banged out a personal plan, will have a leg up on surviving.

Semper Paratus, eh?
    Just having thought through many of the options helps because when the time comes you won't be wasting time following false leads. It is all part of developing a prepper mind set so you can apply critical thinking to survival issues.

Some of the grifter sites do contain some hidden gems of knowledge but you need to separate the wheat from the chaff (and if you are going to grow grain you need to know ways to do that too).

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Just having thought through many of the options helps because when the time comes you won't be wasting time following false leads. It is all part of developing a prepper mind set so you can apply critical thinking to survival issues.

Some of the grifter sites do contain some hidden gems of knowledge but you need to separate the wheat from the chaff (and if you are going to grow grain you need to know ways to do that too).
    Spot on sir. I concur bigly.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Agreed. Fragile, power dependent items like radios are only going to last so long.
    That's why my HF radio runs on a 9Vdc battery and fits in a metal breath mints tin, the antenna fits in another breath mints tin. Takes up little space and can talk around the world from anywhere.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    That's why my HF radio runs on a 9Vdc battery and fits in a metal breath mints tin, the antenna fits in another breath mints tin. Takes up little space and can talk around the world from anywhere.
    Got a link to your specific radio and antenna? In case I wanted to talk to you about MDS after TSHTF.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Got a link to your specific radio and antenna? In case I wanted to talk to you about MDS after TSHTF.
    It was a QRP (low power) kit I built 20 or so years ago, I'll see if I can find something similar and post it.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    It was a QRP (low power) kit I built 20 or so years ago, I'll see if I can find something similar and post it.
    Start here:

They have some pretty good kits and products including wire antennas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom